From:
Lara Tyminski <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Oct 1998 11:11:46 -0500
Hello, I'm so amazed at experienced ferret people being surprised that
their ferrets, especially new ones and babies are nippy.  That's an
inherent part of a ferret.  They bite, some will stop, others will bite
gently but it's part of what makes a ferret a ferret.  Yes it's annoying,
but I also find it endearing, kiss,kiss,kiss chomp.

I'm also surprised at people who panic because their ?  week old baby ,
isn't getting along with the other ferrets.  Give it some time.  Gee, this
little creature may have been through a lot in it's short life, and now you
take it to a new home and introduce it to other animals and think eveyone
should get along, peachy keen.  It takes time, and despite what so many
books and people say, some ferrets NEVER get along.  I've had it happen,
Fredo hated all ferrets, and only when he was old and slow could others be
around him because he couldn't attack them( the others left him alone or
they never would have been allowed near him).  Separate playtimes, cages
and carriers.

My Smokey viciously attacks other ferrets, climbing up the front of me to
get at the 'baby' and yes I thought she would never get over it this time,
but she did, with time.  You may just have to supervise fights.  Don't
bring a baby home and put it with your others right away, if not to prevent
stress, then what about health concerns?Ear mites, coccidea, ECE etc.  I
know, we all want to put them together right away, but that's not really
fair, and when you end up treating 6 squirmy ferrets for ear mites, it
makes you think again.  OK enough sermonizing, I hear my girls rattling for
my attention, time to play.  Chomp, Chomp, Lick Lick, Treats Pleeaase!

Lara