From:
Bruce Skakle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 5 Mar 2000 23:45:44 -0500
Hello FML friends,
I've been a ferret dad since 1995 and a subscriber to the FML since 1996.
Like many of us we come to depend on the FML, BIG, and those readers who
take the time to pass along stories, medical information, and so much more.
Due to my own health problems I haven't posted to the FML since 1998 but I
still read the FML as often as possible.  In 1997 I found a lump on the
upper lip of one of my 2 male ferrets, Bandit and Kirby.  Our vet removed
the lump and as much of the surrounding tissue as was possible and sent it
off to be analyzed.  This came back as squamous cell carcinoma and the vet
said there were no clear margins which indicated that the cancer had spread
beyond the lip area.  Unfortunately, Bandit developed 3 huge fast growing
tumors in his abdomen and when it became apparent that he was in pain we
had him euthanized.  About 10 months, Kirby, his "brother" developed a
tumor on his lip... same size, same place and we had this removed as soon
as we found it but in the end Kirby, too, went to be with Bandit at Rainbow
Bridge.  We thought that since they were litter mates that could be a link
in explaining how they could both develop a tumor on the lip.  That was,
until now.  After Bandit died, we adopted an 8 month old female Sable from
the Humane Society to keep Kirby company.  Last Friday I was giving Sammi
her weekly "physical" and there, in her mouth, on the upper lip was a tumor
about the size of a pencil eraser.  I hadn't noticed it the week before and
now, Sunday, I again checked it and it has increased in size by nearly 50%.
She is scheduled to be seen in the morning at the vet hospital.  We have
tried to think of anything that all three ferrets have in common.  It
always seems to come down to food, water, air, cage and litter.

They all ate either Deli-Cat or Totally Ferret or a mix of both, our water
is from our well (this has been tested and other than being hard no
problems found.  We do NOT have a water softener).  The air outdoors here
in Bangor, Maine is great and inside, we don't smoke or burn wood, so I
have sort of ruled this out too.  The 3 story cage has carpeting on the top
level (sleeping area) and newspaper covering the wire mesh on the lower
levels.  The litter I use is Tidy Cat and none of our fuzzies root around,
dig, or play in the litterbox.  They all got doses of Ferretone and
FerretVitae.  Bandit and Kirby both had ECE but Sammi never seemed to
ever come down with that.

Has anyone had a ferret develop a tumor in the mouth?  Any ideas on the
cause of these tumors?  Our vets didn't prescribe any medications after the
removal of the tumor.  I don't know if we can bear losing another of these
wonderful critters and although we all love our ferrets I wouldn't want to
put another one at risk if this is caused by something in its environment
here.  It makes us wonder if it is something here, in our home, that my
family is being exposed to!  My wife is a breast cancer survivor, now 5
years and 4 months and counting since the surgery, chemo and radiation
with no reoccurrence!  We built our home 27 years ago and this area, just
west of Bangor, Maine was all farmland 100 years ago and there is a
significantly higher cancer rate in both the people and domestic animals
according to some surveys.  There have never been any studies done on what
might be causing this in this specific area.  Any ideas on what could cause
all three of my ferrets to develop tumors on their lip or about increasing
Sammi's chance of survival after she has the tumor removed, would be
greatly appreciated.  Sorry this is so long, BIG.  I re-wrote it a dozen
times until I got it down to this size.  Thank you.  Take care.

Sincerely,
Bruce Skakle
Bangor, ME

This is the pathology report on Kirby's tumor.
Histopath Report:

Source:
Gingiva above right upper canine; gray white tissue(s) less than 1cm - all
processed.

The small biopsy fragments reveal an ulcerated, stratified squamous
muccosa.  Present within the submucosa, and extending to the deep margin
are cords of downward proliferating anaplastic squamous epithelial cells.
The nests or cords of cells reveal significant anisocytosis and
anisokaryosis.  Many karyomegalic cells with prominent nucleoli are
observed, and mitotic figures are consistantly encountered 1-2/hpf.  The
fibrocollagenous stroma separating the proliferating epithelial cells is
inflamed.

Diagnosis:
SQUAMOUS CELL CARCINOMA.

Prognosis:
Guarded, with potential for local invasion and distant metastasis.

Comments:
The morphology of the tumor cells was consistant with a relatively high
grade squamous cell carcinoma.  Long-term epidemiology studies are not
available in this species for this tumor; however, continued locally
aggerssive growth and metastasis would both be considered possible.  Wide
surgical excision, if possible, is recommended.

Borders:
All deep and lateral borders consist of affected tissue.