From:
sukie crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Aug 2004 13:17:53 -0400
http://fhl.sonic-weasel.org/browse.php?msg=YG996

http://fhl.sonic-weasel.org/browse.php?msg=YG1002
including (from a vet pathologist, Dr. Bruce Williams):
>But this is indeed true - ferrets, like any mammal, can contract
>Toxoplasmosis, but only cats can pass the infective eggs in the
>feces - cats are the definitive host. The only feces that you can
>catch toxo from is cat feces.

>Any mammal can pass infective organisma living within the cells of
>their body if they are eaten without being cooked well, however -
>this is why it is recommended that all pregnant women cook their meat
>(beef, pork) well. If you eat a cat, or a ferret, or a kangaroo, you
>could theoretically ingest the organism that way, but I doubt there
>is any likelihood of that.

http://fhl.sonic-weasel.org/browse.php?msg=YG10066

http://fhl.sonic-weasel.org/browse.php?msg=YG10816

http://fhl.sonic-weasel.org/browse.php?msg=YG10863

http://fhl.sonic-weasel.org/browse.php?msg=SG5592

http://fhl.sonic-weasel.org/browse.php?msg=SG7131
(from well known ferret vet, Dr. Jerry Murray):
>There are several things that can cause seizure activity in ferrets.
>Rabies, distemper, Aleutian disease, insulinoma, lymphoma, fungal
>infection, listeriosis, toxoplasmosis, kidney or liver failure, and
>Addison's disease can all cause seizures.  How high was her blood
>glucose?  Diabetic ketoacidiosis could be another possibility.

http://fhl.sonic-weasel.org/browse.php?msg=SG7822

http://fhl.sonic-weasel.org/browse.php?msg=SG10192
(from Dr. Sue Liszewski DVM, who sweetly helps many FHL members
answering about a circling kit with cause unknown) including:
>Inner ear infection, toxoplasmosis, nervous system infection, tumor or
>genertic cause all possible.  I would use an antibiotic with better
>penetration to the nervouse system, like chloramphenicol or Trimeth
>Sulfa.  Also consider Clindamyacin for toxo, just to help rule these out.

My own note: Raw meat, raw eggs, and raw milk carry several disease
risks (as you found the hard way).  One is tuberculosis which is almost
never seen in U.S. ferrets since the use of kibble began, another is
salmonella which several vets have mentioned encountering.  You can read
of these risk factors to weigh what you do ot don't want to do on your
own by reading in the both the FML and FHL Archives.  The posts above are
from the FHL Archives and I strongly suggest making use also fo the FML
Archives whose URL is in the header of every day's FML.  I use both of
these archives almost daily myself.