From:
"Regina J. Hart" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 31 May 1998 10:17:13 -0400
Hi all

RE:  CORN COB LITTER
Karla wrote:
>I just recently tried a sample of a ferret litter that was corn-cob based.
>It was wonderful in regards to both odor and absorbability and the ferrets
>didn't mind using it.  Has anyone else tried this litter?  Any complaints
>or concerns?

I just tried a similar (or perhaps the same) product myself- it was the
Fresh Nest brand (marketed in pet stores for birds).  I found this litter
to be excellent for odor control and very easy to scoop and clean.  I was
also very pleased by the fact that it does not track far and wide (like the
sawdust from wood pellets).  It was reasonably absorbant, though not as
absorbant as some other products.  The major disadvantage is its cost; this
litter is a bit expensive.  Other considerations include its propensity to
mold- just be sure to scoop regularly- and the potential for ferrets to eat
it.  None of mine have even tried, but that's always something to watch for.

Best wishes,
Gina Hart/Sage Ferrets
The Boys:  Beau, Goose, Spikey &
The Original Sage Ferret:  Bean