From:
Bruce Williams DVM <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Thu, 28 Oct 1993 09:53:39 -0400
[Please remember to send your messages to [log in to unmask]
If you send them to cunyvm.cuny.edu, it bounces them to me, and I have
to hand-mangle them for inclusion.  This particular message went to the
right place, but I notice another copy (plus three previous ones) went to
the LISTSERV.  If, when you do a reply in your mailer, and your mailer says
to the listserv, something's busted.  FML issues come out with "Reply-to:"
[log in to unmask]  If it's not using that for replies, your
mailer is broken and should be fixed.

I will have to check thru the other messages you sent to see whether they
also went out on the FML.]

   To Chris:

        Sorry to hear about Mocha.  The history of markedly swollen lymph nodes
with a diagnostic fine-needle aspirate is good evidenceof lymphosarcoma.  I
would expect a good initial response to the prednisone, but the clinical
behavior of most lymphomas is that they initially respond, but in a few months
they come back with a vengeance and won't be stopped.

        I am interested that your lab says that their fine-needle aspirates are
always positive.  I would like to see how they achieve this - if you could
provide me some information I would greatly appreciate it.  (I always ask for
tissue to confirm a diagnosis.)

[The lab did ask for a tissue sample.  It was the vet that said "they've never
missed on a fine-needle biopsy", so we didn't bother with a tissue sample.
If you're still interested, I can find out the precise name of the lab.]

To Drake concerning fleas:

        I think just about anyone who makes the mistake (as I did) of taking
their ferrets outside during the summer runs a great risk of picking up fleas.
We have been battling a low-grade infestation since July.  Any pyrethrin-based
shampoo from your vet will be fine on ferrets - stay away from organophosphate
or carbamate-based shampoos, though.  If the vet recommends it for kittens, then
it will probably be okay for ferrets too.  (I use Adams' at home).  We also bomb
on a regular basis.  It's been a rather trying autumn for us this year...

To Lin Richard -

        From time to time, I will attempt to post short articles concerning
health items on ferrets on this list.  Please feel free to use them in your
newsletter, as anyone else may.  I don't have a long list of prepared articles
to send, so I will instead try to post something each week on a disease of
interest.

       Wish me luck.

[Great!  Sukie might want to collect these for inclusion in the health FAQ
or an auxiliary one.]

To James Garriss concerning spaying:

        Your females can be spayed at almost any time.  It is better, however,
not to spay during estrus for several reasons - if the animal has been in estrus
for a long time, it may have decreased red blood cell counts, which ideally
would be best brought up over 25% before surgery is performed.  Additionally,
the surgery has less of a chance of serious blood loss if the animal is out of
estrus.  Check with your vet and have him run blood tests to determine whether
your animals can be spayed immediately.  Animals that have low blood counts can
be brought out of estrus by injections of human chorionic gonadotropin (HCG),
and then spayed when their blood cell counts increase.

        Estrus in most female ferrets is signified by swelling of the extrernal
genitalia.  There is occasionally a thin discharge, but it is the overall size
of the vulva which is the most obvious.

        If you're not going to breed, it is advisable to spay as quickly as
possible - unspayed females run a high risk of health problems not too far off
down the road...

Bruce Williams, DVM