From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 11 Dec 1999 18:33:26 -0500
Tara wrote:
>For instance, poor people owning ferrets. What the heck is wrong with it?

I don't think ANYONE is bothered by poor people having ferrets.  I think
that what happens is that folks remind new-comers that some of the costs
can become quite expensive so it pays to suit the number to what you handle
economically as well as in terms of time.  Also, I think you'll notice that
many such comments include suggestions that people ask shelters about
foster programs since some have these programs in which the foster person
covers day-to-day costs but the shelter covers medical costs.  It offers
the best of both worlds for those with economic problems, while helping
reduce shelter crowding, and if the person's financial situation changes
then it's possible with many shelters to change over to being a full home
with all responsibilities.  These sorts of mentions on a few occasions get
altered by some people who see them as slams because they read that into
them instead of just looking at the options (This, luckily, is rare,
possibly because income and reading levels are too very different things.
:-)).  If people see the replies without seeing the original it's easy to
get a different impression from what was original said.  Actually they are
simply pieces of solid advice from people with long experience who care
about other FML members enough that they don't want them to suffer some of
the same things the writers had to learn the hard way.  People take or
leave advice in this world, but there's no problem with offering it, and
learning without suffering first is a boon.  Can folks sometimes word such
info better?  Sure, but likewise others can also read more carefully.  Do
we all have our hearts in the right place?  Of course!  That's why we're
such a marvelous community!

Linda, your story about Scrump is MARVELOUS!  Yes, love and patience work!

It's so neat having silent people whom I've know a bit through private
talks telling more about themselves on the list.  These introductions are
just so much FUN and so many people have things to add which could help
us all!

Oh, and 7 of 6 is not a Marshall ferret.  Could be a PV, but he doesn't
really look very PV to us.  I know that sounds silly, but he just doesn't.
We're inclined to think he came from a small breeder somewhere.  He has
VERY sweet kisses -- even with all the tarter and dental breakage.  We'll
have to get some ferret info to that shelter.  They don't seem to have
money for health care beyond extreme cases and they get only 2 to 3 ferrets
each year so they have a good deal to learn but the people working there
really LIKE animals and adored 7.

We really were going to not go above 6 at this time, but of course now we
don't have two in serious medical shape at the same time and that was a
factor before when we had seven ferrets.  At least we can pretend by saying
that he's just 7 of 6.

Hey, Ronnie didn't mention that she's also a fine gardener!