From:
Heather Wojtowicz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Dec 2001 12:17:43 -0500
Hi all-

I wanted to share something that's been on my mind from time to time:

It seems to me that ferrets inspire a rather "special" sort of affection,
that seems to extend to other animals.  For example: I know many cat and
dog lovers who are strictly cat or dog people.  Period.  I know cat lovers
who would not be interested in rescuing or adopting anything other than
cats, and same for dog people.

But ferret people...well, we seem to be different.  Is it just me, or does
ferret ownership seem to naturally extend our affections to ALL creatures
great and small?  I was not much interested in animals of any kind until
I got hooked on ferrets.  Having these squirmy little weasels running
circles around my life has seemed to open my eyes to the whole animal
kingdom.  I know many, many other ferret owners whose compassion for
critters does not end with ferrets.  It seems to me, in my experience
anyway, that those who rescue and foster ferrets are also likely to
rescue and love all kinds of other creatures.  So many ferret households
also include dogs, cats, birds, bunnies, turtles, reptiles, etc.  Shelter
households often include other rescued species as well, although I've
seldom seen the opposite.  Rescuing dogs doesn't seem to inevitably lead
to extending that love to cats and ferrets and bunnies.  Even rescuing
cats doesn't seem to have a common link with loving ferrets.  But
ferrets...somehow in the reverse, they are the pivotal animal that leads
to a greater love and understanding of the needs of all companion
critters.

I wonder if anyone else has any thoughts on this.  Is it just coincidence?
Is my experience unique?  Or is it universal that the love of ferrets
brings out a love for all kinds of animals?  Is there no connection at
all?  I wonder.  It seems to me that loving ferrets somehow gives us a
new perspective, changes our perception, and ferret ownership (or the
state of being owned by ferrets) quietly slips a pair of compassion-tinted
glasses on our eyes, and we see the rest of the animal kingdom through the
unbiased eyes of our ferret friends.

Or am I just too biased in my adoration for fuzzy carpet sharks??

What do you think??

-Heather Wojtowicz
 Massachusetts