From:
Pam Grant and STAR* Ferrets <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 Aug 1996 08:34:50 -0400
>flea control
I have not tried Advantage, but I have used Frontline on ferrets and cats
and love it.  One pump per pound for up to three months of protection, and
it kills ticks too!

>euro ferrets
Well, I have European German foundation ferrets, and their faces are broader
than American ferrets, but their coats are just as short.  They are also
stockier and thicker than American ferrets = more solid!  Angora ferrets are
the new fad and I'm sure one will be turned in to my rescue soon enough for
me to have my own personal experience.

free feed at all times.

Just a reminder:

The STAR* Database Resource listing can be used to locate clubs, vets,
shelters, contacts (knowlegable people willing to talk to other ferret
people) products, etc.  There are over 1000 listings at this time (it is
a large load).

>nursing mom
I would recommend that you keep the other ferrets away from Mom and give her
a private play area.  She is using her poop to mark her territory.  Some
moms, when sensing danger, will kill and eat the kits.

I'm also intending on attaching a text on food supliment for mom and the
kits when they are older.

Since the majority of ferrets in the US have the MF tattoo in their right
ear, we know they are already spayed or neutered (or at least supposed to
be).

>Importing ferrets
To get into the US, ferrets need a health certificate and distemper and
rabies shots.  The Helath certificate must be within the 10 day limit.

>red, swollen itchy butt
Could be a prolapsed rectum.  Try softening the food with a little water.
You might also want to offer a hairball laxitive in case there is a
semi-blockage.

>Janfleury
>fang removal
If BOTH upper fangs are being removed, then you might want them to polish
down the lower canines to prevent them from piercing the upper lip.  I've
had molars removed with canines and the jaws collapse a bit and the sharp
canines can drive holes into the sinus cavity and cause infection.  Soft
food will be nice for a few days (Duck soup or just water soaked kibble),
but take extra pains to keep the molars clean so they do not rot too and
have to be removed.

>a funny test for ferret food
A lot of people ask if a particular ferret food is good or not.  There are
many foods that have the right numbers and percentages, but if the animal
will not eat it, then it is a waste of money.

Basics in ferret diets are:

Protein - 32% +
Fat - 18-22%
First ingredient - meat, poultry or by-prod of one.
I recommend that corn and fish NOT appear in the first three ingredients.

But the best test I have found in my house, are the cats.  I have 8 cats,
and if they are given sealed bags of cat or ferret foods, they will only rip
open the ones the ferrets like best.  I can pour some ferret foods into
bowls and the cats will ignore it too!

For a copy of the latest FERRET FOOD CHART (over 20 foods at a glance), send
a SASE to:

FERRET FOOD CHART / STAR*
PO Box 1714
Springfield, VA 22151-0714

>Petsgalor9
>lympho
I have a 7 year old ferret with Lympho and he is doing fine on Pred.  Each
type of Lympho can be handled differently.  If you have any questions or
fears, have your vet talk to another vet who has more experience:

Dr. Williams
Dr. Weiss
Dr. Kawasaki

(all in DC metro area and are on the STAR* listing)

See the text on Ethoxyquin on Ferret World.

For more info on STAR* Ferrets, and to receive a listing of ferret shelters,
contacts, vets, suppliers, breeders, clubs, etc. in your state, send a LONG
self addressed stamped envelope to:

STAR* Ferrets
PO Box 1714
Springfield, VA 22151-0714

To review the ENTIRE listing, go to http://work.com/ferret/star-list.html

Check out STAR*'s Web page through http://ferret-world.csc.peachnet.edu.
E-mail questions/corrections/additions, etc.  to: [log in to unmask]

Pamela Grant, Director

ATTENTION FERRET LOVERS:

If every ferret owner contributed just a dollar for the rabies shed study,
we would have six million dollars and a quarantine for our ferrets.  Since I
can not reach all ferret owners, please help by sending what you can and
asking your vet, friends and local pet shops for donations and send them to:
Morris Animal Foundation / Ferret Shed Study, 45 Inverness Drive East,
Englewood, CO 80112-5480.  This is tax deductible.

[Moderator's note: Pam's fine list is also on this LISTSERVer.  Ask
[log in to unmask] for FERRET DATABASE   BIG]