From:
"Williams, Bruce" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Oct 2000 14:22:00 -0400
To our friends on the FML:

As part of the ongoing research into ferret coronavirus - following our
recent publication in the Journal of the AVMA (Williams BH, Kiupel M, West
KH, Raymond JT, Grant CK, Glickman LT:
Coronavirus-associated epizootic catarrhal enteritis in ferrets. August
15, 2000) - we are looking for some fresh material to conduct additional
molecular studies.  We are attempting to isolate viral material which may
yield sufficient genetic information to allow development of diagnostic
tests and possible even a recombinant vaccine.  But we can't proceed
without new virus-laden material.

What we need is fresh frozen feces from ECE outbreaks.  We need feces taken
very soon after ferrets break with disease - preferably in the first few
days of infection, which the feces is still green amd mucousy.  These feces
generally have the highest concentration of virus particles, and yield the
best probability of isolating virus material.  A diagnosis of ECE does not
have to be confirmed by your vet - if you think you have it, freeze those
feces and send them!

Feces should be placed in a plastic bag or pill bottle and hard frozen,
and require overnight shipping.  Thawing of the samples decreases the
possibility of being able to recover viral material.

Samples should be sent to Dr. Kiupel at the following address.  Please
notify him by email at [log in to unmask] or by fax prior to shipping and
try not to ship over the weekend (that will guarantee thawing and a
diminished return).  Please, no samples after 31 December 2000!

Dr. med. vet. M. Kiupel, MS, DACVP
Purdue University
Animal Disease Diagnostic Laboratory
West-Lafayette