From:
Jon & Veda Chalmers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Feb 2004 11:58:04 -0600
>Subject: Human kids + ferrets
>
>After all this discussion about food, which is very helpful, I have a
>question for people who have human kids and ferrets.  Do you worry about
>what your ferret eats, etc., and spoil your ferrets as much as those of
>us without human kids?

Yes, I do worry about what my ferret eats as much as people without human
kids do.  Currently my ferret is on a duck soup diet, but he occasionally
picks at the dry food in his dish.  I have him on the mixture of foods
that he was eating at the shelter but I'm also interested in the new
Wysong products because of the protein levels.

>And are you as concerned about what your kids eat as your ferrets?

Yes, I am concerned about my human children's health as well.  I buy
quality low fat cuts of meat, whole grain breads, fresh fruits and
veggies, and some treat type items from time to time.  They drink
water more often than soda.  They enjoy a variety of foreign foods.

My sons are all teenagers now and our ferret was adopted as a companion
for my youngest son.  As I explained to his shelter mom, this means he
lives in my youngest son's room, everyone gets to play with him, and I
get to change the litter box, wash is hammies, feed him, and take care
of all vet visits and costs.

The boys help hand feed him and can even feed and medicate him in the
evening so my husband and I can have a night out.  The last time we asked
them to do this for us, we came home and found our ferret in his cage
when it should have still be his play time.  My 14 year old explained
that Milton was in time out because while they were measuring out his
prednisone, he climbed into the couch and refused to come out until they
pulled it out away from the wall and laid it on it's back and coaxed him
out with ferretone.  As far as they are concerned they have a little
brother, not a pet.

Veda