From:
"Phyllis A. Smith" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Jun 2004 09:06:27 -0500
Jaclyn I am glad that you shared your great story.  It is nice to read
a happy story for once.  I just sit hear and cry when I read about the
loving babies crossing the Rainbow Bidge.

I have been off line for a long time too, but longer than you.  Some of
you might remember my ferret names: Faith, Hope, Charrity, Generosity,
Grace.  Since then I have (or had) Constance, Bandit and Constance.  I
adopted Bandit when he was 2 and knew his name, so I couldn't name him
my self.  On ICQ I went my Sissy.

I know I was active when I lost Faith and Hope.  Since then Bandit and
Charrity has crossed the Rainbow Bridge too.

I am needing help with getting a ferret to accept a new baby.  I have
tried everything I have read and have gotten some help from others.
First, Joey (Joy) had been in two families and in the shelter twice
before I adopted him.  I was told that he had been with other ferrets.
I believe that it must have been a bad one.

When I tried to introduce him, I tried Grace first.  He wasn't to found
of her, but it wasn't to bad.  He was going through the usual getting to
know you problems.  Then my girlfriend bought Generosity in, against my
will.  He went up to him and tried to him and Joey just sat there.  He
acted like he was scarred to death.  Generosity immediately attacked him.
When Generosity attacked him, Grace joined in too.  I have tried several
times to introduce them.  When Grace is by herself it isn't to bad, but
he still acts like he is scared of her.

Generosity still attacked him.  It is so bad that I have to separate
them.  Once he drew blood and another time he got him by the rough of
his neck and kept shacking him.  Now I just keep him by himself.  I was
feeling bad, because he was by himself and didn't even play when I put
him out to play in the kitchen.  I thought about taking him back to the
shelter, but I didn't want to put him through the drama.  He didn't seem
unhappy.  He loves to get out when I hold him.  He is a very cuddly
ferret.

I tried putting him in the kitchen whenever the other two weren't out.  I
thought he would get more exercise because he at least have to walk for
his food and water, and hopefully to use the litter pan.  He didn't like
that.  I think it was because he is a people ferret and he was separated
from people.

I have pretty much given up on him being with the others.  He is good
and comes to me when I call him, so I have started letting him roam the
house, when the others are having play time in the kitchen.  He seems to
love it and usually stays close to me.  I recently moved my furniture
around, so I feel that it is now ferret proof I hope, since they always
seem to find something to get into.

He doesn't use the litter pan then either, but that is OK.  The rug is
so old, that my landlord was supposed to replace it 4 years ago.  I can
clean it up and us a little Oxiclean to clean it.  I think he is really
happy, but I still wish he could be with the others.  He has a smaller
cage than I would like him to have, since he is in there as much as he
is.  He does get a lot of time out though.

If anyone has some suggestions, please let me know.

Phyllis and the Wigglies: Generosity, Grace and Joey
In Loving Memory:Faith, Hope, Constance, Bandit and Charrity