Date:
Tue, 29 Oct 2002 06:55:01 -0800
Mike Felty <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>I know this has been covered before, but I have 4 ferrets with rat tail.

Just FYI, if you know something has been covered before in the FML
you can do a search of the archives for previous posts and get the
information right away.  The link is listed near the top of each FML:
http://listserv.cuny.edu/archives/ferret-search.html

It is fine to post your questions to the list, that's what it is here
for.  Just be aware that all previous FML lists are kept there for your
continued edification ;)

>2 are albino, 2 silvers, what causes this?...
>Any ideas on care for this problem.  Some one mentioned stridex pads ,
>how often to use, do you scrub tail then rinse off?Any help , my vet
>isnt sure what to do.

Personally I think Stridex pads are a bit harsh - I know they burn my
skin.  Others have used them with success, so I know they work, but I
prefer using something gentler.  If you do use the Stridex pads I would
definitely rinse it off.  I use the Neutrogena Alcohol-free Antiseptic
wash on my face, it is very gentle but effective on my sensitive-but-oily
skin.  I have used this on my ferrets tails as well and they tolerate it
well.

To be honest, washing just the tail every couple days with a mild soap
has done the trick for my ferrets with this problem.  It may be 'til the
next coat change before the new fur grows in however.

If the hair loss continues up the base of the tail or back you need to
talk to your vet about the possibility of adrenal disease.  If it just on
the tail, it is most likely just "rat tail" cause by excessive oil and
blackheads on the tail.

Be well,
Star

=====
In the best of times, I hold in my mind the need to care for things
beyond the self: poetry, humanity, grace.  In other times, when it seems
difficult merely to survive and be happy about it, the condition of my
thought tastes as simple as this: let me be a good animal today.
-Barbara Kingsolver, "High Tide in Tucson"
~*~*~
http://foxfoot.tripod.com/