From:
Duane Watts <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Sep 2003 16:30:21 -0700
I tried to post this a few days ago but it didn't seem to go through.

Almost two years ago, with Rebecca and Larry McFarlane's help my wife and
I got two boys from the big Utah rescue.  Spooky, an albino, and Podo, a
sable came home with us.  We brought them in and set Spooky and Podo on
the floor and they looked around and to each other like they had never
seen so much space before.  Then they went in an absolutely bulistic,
bouncing off the walls frenzy.  My eyes watered to see such happy ferrets
that came from such a bad place.

Spooky is now showing signs of insulinoma, is on pediapred and gravy and
doing very well.

Early this year we took Podo in for adrenal surgery.  As I watched Dr.
Higgins pulled out a tumour almost the size of a ping- pong ball wrapped
around the liver and the vena-cava.  My hopes for Podo came crashing down
around me and my heart broke for him.  Over the summer he lost his hair
and the tumour grew but he seemed not to notice.  He played with the rest
of the group as always.  By August he was slowing down and the tumour was
larger than a golf-ball.  He would still park himself on the floor in
front of me, look up with puppy-sad eyes asking for a treat.  With tears
I would give him all he wanted.  Just last week Podo told us it was time
to go.  I bundled him up in a fleece ferret-sized blanket and held him as
a friend drove us the 15 miles to the vets for the last shot.  A short
distance from the vets Podo flexed his little body then relaxed and
passed peacefully in my arms.  Podo fought the good fight and I will
always miss him.

Duane

Duane & Linda Watts and the fuzzies
Spooky, Dozier, Taz, Suger, Romeo,
Skeeter, Scooter, Blaze, Chance, Ann,
Cocoa, Sarah, Gidget, Sandi, Raven, Jasmin,
Daisy, Bennie, Rascal, Ginger, Smokey, Luigi
And Sabrina (our Dog)
Missing: Bandit, Mindy, Mandy, and Podo