From:
Terrie Kaufman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Sep 1996 20:27:30 -0700
Hi Fellow Doddlebug Lovers:

I have been getting this wonderful digest for the past two months, ever
since buying our first two-pound terror and want to thank everyone for your
great advice and insight.  When my significient other walked past the pet
shop at the local mall, plunked down close to $300.00 after buying a 1.2 lb.
female baby, the one who didn't bite as much as the other and asked me to
hold her on my lap on the drive home, I knew we were in deep trouble.  And I
have this sinking feeling this is only the beginning, huh?

Opps, just had to run and resue the tea service "Chutzpah" decided looks
better sitting on the floor.

Anyhow, back to my story.  For those who haven't ever heard the word
"Chutzpah" it's Yiddish and means a lot of things but mainly one who has the
spine and guts to do as one pleases.  We first named her "Dust Bunny"
because she came out from under one of the dressers with dust on her little
nose.  That name finally became to cumbersome and after living with her
antics for a few days we decided she fit many names.  Monster, terror,
trouble and I am sure you get the idea of what I am talking about.

I am an interior designer and my surroundings have always been very
important to me.  I just always took it for granted that everything should
always be in it's place and look beautiful.  Why is it this is no longer how
we are living?  Our home now looks as if we have a two year old child
running free with no supervision.  We have now lived with "Chutzpah" for two
months (she was born on April 15th.) and she has somehow changed our lives
to conform to hers but I am not sure this is the end of OUR conforming to
HER way of living!!

I have read all the posts, sometimes wondering how other's could manage
having more then ONE of these amazing creatures in their lives without
having a nervous breakdown.  I have NEVER seen anything move like she does,
nor find places to hide those precious little items she tends to steal
without my knowing until it comes time to find the car keys and anything
other she tends to feel should belong to her.  She is probably one of the
smartest animals I have ever owned and only wonder what she really knows.

The biting has not been fun, in fact it's been miserabler.  I must admit,
she is getting better and has greatly improved since first bringing her
home.  I have tried following some of the advice about tapping her on her
nose, saying NO loudly and sometimes it helps, other times she couldn't care
less what I say, nor how loud I say it.  We have bought "Bitter Apple" and
oh boy, she hates the stuff.  I use it rarely because I forget.  There seems
to be good days and bad, days when she reverts back to when we first brought
her home and then days like today where she just "mouths" my fingers, toes
and ankles.  I didn't know something this small could grab with teeth so
hard that she could bring tears to my eyes and murder in my thoughts.

Now the question!  The book we purchased with her said that they sleep up to
14 hours a day.  She seems to stay on a schedule.....up at 7:30 A.M.  for
about 1 1/2 hours and back to sleep till 11:30/12:00.  Play a little while
and then back to sleep for the whole afternoon and up at dinner time and
back to bed by 9:30/10:00 when I finally put her back into her cage.  The
whole day she is able to run free, terrorize and play with our cat and then
takes her naps in one of our hide-a-beds whenever she feels the need.

I only put her in a cage at night because I don't trust her to sleep with us
because of her ability to bite and get into things.  She has not yet sat
quietly in our laps and fallen asleep as I have read others do.  I would
imagine this is because she is still so young and her energy level is way
beyond ours.  Do we have any hope of this darling ball of fur every becoming
a little less active and curling up in our laps like others or giving kisses
instead of making us feel as if we are both human teething rings?

Any good advice from someone who has lived through this situation will
be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance and my best to everyone who makes up this wonderful
team effort of love and information,

Terrie
Vancouver, WA