Date:
Thu, 15 Dec 2005 20:26:08 -0400
Let me back up a bit...

I took Ambi to the the vet in January, '05.  I suspected adrenal disease
because of the almighty symmetrical hairloss pattern.  The vet did an
ultrasound and sure enough, Ambi's RIGHT adrenal was plump.

The vet had stated where it was just 'plump' it didn't warrant surgery.
I had taken her in... hmm, 3 or 4 more times so far to keep 'tabs' on the
gland, and each time, the vet said there is no significant change in the
gland, so surgery isn't necessary.

All the while her hair is slowly thinning and thinning, and she was
getting itchy.  I had to do something so I turned to the implants.  The
implants have done wonders for her, she doesn't itch at all, but she
didn't grow any fur back either.  I just had another recent ultrasound
and still the vet says, still there is no significant change in Ambi.
So I'm thinking of putting her on Lupron as well, the vet is looking
into that for me.  Ambi will be 7 in June of '06.  She is already on
Prednisolone for her Insulinoma.

Now with this last ultrasound for Ambi, I also had an ultrasound done
on Nikki Taur.  I suspected he's adrenal because again of the almightly
symmetrical hairloss.  Bingo!!  The vet said it's his LEFT adrenal had
gone awry.  And Bingo...They want to do surgery.  Surgery was supposed
to be Tuesday, but rescheduled for today... They called me today as he
was opened up on the table...the ultrasound was wrong, it's his RIGHT
adrenal, it was at this point they tell me the don't feel comfortable
and are not 'equipped' enough to deal with RIGHTS!!  I told them please
close him back up, please don't do anything.  They gave me a break on the
process, the original quote was $400, but I ended up paying only $166.

The writing on the wall is all to clear now, this vet is not comfortable
in doing RIGHTS.  Has nothing to do with the gland being in a certain
'state' to warrant surgery.  I cannot find another vet remotely close in
New Brunswick who will do adrenalectomys.  This particular vet is the
only one who will do lefts, let alone rights.

So...what I have to do now is take Nikki to the Atlantic Veterinary
College in Prince Edward Island in early January 06.  The surgery is
going to cost tween $600 - $800 dollars, (depending on what happens and
post operative care, as my local vet puts it).

My first two ferrets were Jade & Daisy.  Jade went thru 3 surgeries, a
splenectomy, blockage & an adrenalectomy, which he never came out of,
the vet tells me he went into cardiac arrest.  Daisy never had surgery,
altho she was on Pediapred for the last say 3.5 years of her life.  for
her Insulinoma.

Now I have Ambi & Nikki.  As much as love these little guys, (to
pieces)...I'm literaly on the fence thinking that these 2 will be by last
2 for awhile.  It's too hard on the ol' heartstrings....Vets here are
just not knowledgeable enough, (it breaks my heart) of all the ailments
in their little lifespans...and treatment is extremely expensive.

I read of fuzzies in the US of A and Western Canada going in for these
type surgeries and the vets being super knowledgeable and the ferrets
come thru with flying colors!!  And that is wonderful!!  But here it just
doesn't seem to be that way...there is not much a vet can do for the more
common, adrenals and insulinomas...(and what do ferrets get most)..it's
just really getting me down.

I have Nikki home tonight, he is sore and groggy, (Thank Heavens he's
alive)...I hope he comes around fairly fast.  The poor little gaffer
will be getting somewhat nicely healed only to be cut open again in
early January.  I promise to let everyone know how he fairs.

   <'^`*.Jadesun.*'^`>

Who is General Failure??
And why he is reading my hard disk?
http://www3.nbnet.nb.ca/jadesun