From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Aug 2001 12:13:45 -0400
I had someone ask me about a ferret which is having trouble with the flavor
of a med, so figured that this info would likely help a number of people.
This way, too, if there are any delivery problems the sweet person who
asked can get the basics here, too:

First of all, remember that I am not a vet.

Ferrets vary in taste; we have two who LOVE certain meds, but certainly
also some who don't.

1. You can try getting a range of babyfoods and introducing them by
finger, so that you can leave some without meds but use others to deliver
meds.

2. You can contact a compounding pharmacy.  These are GREAT!  They
compound meds with assorted flavors to make them less objectionable or
sometimes even enjoyable.  Vets and pediatricians especially use them.
We use Belvidere (1-800-322-6695) which ships but if you don't want one
shipped or you don't live in our part of NJ you can find one by calling
your local pharmacies (or vets or pediatricians) to ask who compounds
medications with flavors.  You can find some alternatives by going to
these webpage addies:

http://www.vin.com/PetCare/Articles/VetHospital/M00612.htm,
http://www.afip.org/ferrets/compounding.htm .

I expect that if you write "Compounding Pharmacies" into a search engine
like google.com you can find more.  You could also see if the Yahoo
search engine (which is variable in performance) can pick out such past
discussions at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Ferret-Health-list,
and look for that topic also at
http://listserv.cuny.edu/archives/ferret-search.html,
and in other websites that might have compounding notes.

3. Some pharmacies sell an assortment of tiny bottles of concentrated
flavors (some with alcohol and some without) to cover medication flavors.
These are hard to find and will take calling around.