Date:
Fri, 17 Jul 1998 13:20:52 EDT
stand up for atleast 7 PetSmart stores.  One must also keep in mind that
just because a store is a 'chain' that it treats all employees and all
customers the same across the country.  Blanket statements such as

>..They do not want ferret organizations there unless thy get some kind
>of *cut*in it.  They endorse grey hound rescues and the like yet will not
>let most other rescue places in to hand out flyers

can not be said.

I was asked by a regional marketing directors to participate with PetSmart
in an edcuational table for their Adopt-a-thon.  I had to present my forms,
my procedure and my contracts to them.  I got approved to be the Ferret
Organization in Northern Virginia.  So everyother saturday I'm at one of the
7 PetSmarts in my area, educating current/future ferret owners and handing
out information.  I'm allowed to bring in my adoptable ferrets, that met
their health standards (which happen to be the same as mine).  The only
thing asked of me was not to sell any goods.  What is PetSmart getting?
If they are wise enough to advertise it (only a couple have) then more
customers that day.  What do I get?  I have gotten many many contacts for
adopting out my shelter ferrets.  I have been able to educate some very
uneducated ferret owners.  I have been able to share the joy of ferret
ownership.

Oh yes, I also received a very generous donation for my time.

My local PetCo sells ferrets.  I drop in to check on them, but that is it.
I applaud PetSmart's policy on not selling dogs,cats and ferrets and
allowing the different groups to come in.  There is always another group
with me there.  I applaud their spay/neuter policy and their no kill policy.

I'm sorry that the employee wasn't happy with the working conditions and
management of PetSmart.  Not all companyies are a picnic to work for.  Are
they one of the worst, I doubt it very seriously.  Yes they are out to make
money.  Heck isn't all businesses?  How else can they stay in business?

Thanks
Faith
Ferrets R #1 Shelter and Rescue