From:
Rachel McCall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 15 Apr 2000 15:59:56 -0500
Hello to all.
I didn't think that I would be postng something like this so soon.  Harley,
the MF male that I rescued from the pet store recently, is not doing very
well.  Took him to our new ferret-wise vet soon after we got him for a
check-up and he weighed in at 1# 15oz.  I have beenkeeping a watch on him
and did note that he was losing weight, but.  We were in yesterday for our
cats rabies vac and check-up and I asked if we could just weigh him again,
OHMIGOSH, 1# 9oz.  This was in just 2 weeks time.  Well, we tried for blood
sample and were able to get a .5cc for tests andd while we were doing that
he peed, so we got a urine sample also.  The urine came back with a speciic
gravity of 1.015, now as a human nurse I was happy with this until the vet
said that it was too dilute for a fert.  So as we only hada small blood
sampe to work with we concentrated on liver and kidnay functions.  Today I
got the results of those and his kidneys are fine, but his liver enzymes
are slightly elevated and his protein is low.  Also, The sample was
clotted, but he came back with a glucose of less than 10!!!  Is that
possible and he still be alive?  Of course the vet mentioned lymphoma, but
there are no lumps on feeling (and he is very skinny so those would be easy
to feel).  Also, we are looking at insulinoma.  I am very confident in our
vet and then he goes and reinfroces it when he mentions that they have
treated these before and have even done surgery as needed.

Sorry that this rambles on but we've had this little guy such a short time
and he is so lovable.  Also, Scratch has taken to beting up on him.  Can
ferrets sense weakness and try to destroy it as other species do?