Date:
Tue, 5 Mar 1996 23:09:35 -0500
Great News!

California lawmaker, Jan Goldsmith, will introduce a resolution in the
Califorina Assembly that calls upon the Fish and Game Commission to remove
the domestic ferret from its list of wild animals.  It also calls upon the
Commission to no longer prohibit the ownership or possession of ferrets.

Jan has bi-partisan support for this measure and it is expected to be heard
in the new Water, Parks and Wildlife Committee sometime after April 19th.
In the meantime, Californians should sharpen their pens and pencils and get
ready to politely educate this committee about our issue.

Since many of the members of this committee have changed, I've asked for the
new list and will provide it to everyone as soon as I receive it.  It's a
few weeks too early to write since the language is not yet back from leg
counsel.

The addresses will also be published in Ferret Focus and in FA in upcomming
newsletters.  It will also be available through the CDFA Web site thanks to
Scott Beisner.  Visit the CDFA website at
http://www.ccnet.com/~beisners/cdfa/cdfa.html.

Everyone is excited about the positive message that will be sent to the
Commission when the California Assembly passes such a strong pro-ferret
resolution (this does not address legalization but lets a Republican
Commission know how a bi-partisan, Republican majority Assembly, feels about
this issue.

We hope everyone outside California will contact friends, family, and
aquaintances inside California and have them  write to these Committee
members.

Thanks, all of you for your help.

Jeanne Carley
Legislative Director