From:
judy wallace <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Nov 2000 14:40:09 -0600
There is a shelter in TN.  I'm part of Cloud Nine Ferrets, Inc. which has
two sites: Huntsville, AL and Dellrose, TN.  Dellrose is about 15 miles
west of Fayetteville very close to the TN/AL line but still in TN.  We take
ferrets from Alabama and Tennessee and just took in a pair from Georgia.
Right now Mark, my partner, has 12 and I have 10.  We have several who are
adoptable.

Currently, there's just the two of us but we hope, eventually, to get a
club started and to get others interested in helping with the shelter.
Since there are no other shelters around we're learning as we go and read
the FML and eGroups looking for ways to make the shelter better.  This
falls under "what the FML has done for me."

Smokey's surgery went OK, but she's had complications.  Dr. White found a
large growth that he removed and sent for analysis.  Plus she chewed out
her stitches overnight after the surgery and had to be put back to sleep
and resewn the next morning.  She's still not eating but she is drinking
water.  We've got her on antibiotics and Dr. White gave her a cocktail
today (injection) with vitamins, electrolytes and fluids.  She's hanging
on but I'm getting more concerned every hour that she doesn't eat.

All the things that are supposed to taste good to ferrets Smokey hates...
like nutrical and chicken baby food.  I will continue to try to entice her
to eat on her own but I'm beginning to get desperate.

Turns out the first vet (the one who diagnosed her lymphoma) must have
taken the left adrenal so Dr. White just took the right one.  He didn't
use cryo on Smokey; he used it on my partner's little girl, Kiara.  Kiara's
doing great, BTW.

Judy Wallace
Cloud Nine Ferrets, Inc.  (we just became an Inc.!)
Dellrose, TN