From:
Gabrielle Lastname <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Sep 2003 18:08:33 -0500
There is a neat site that I found by cruising a shelter's boards --
www.hare-today.com -- it sells, among other things, whole ground chicken,
including the internal organs and head, for $1.99/lb, and they will ship
for a reasonable price (an 18-lb order was 8.95, although you have to
send the box back).  I thought this was the coolest thing ever to use as
a base for Bob's Gravy.  Yes, you will have to blend it again in the
blender, but this might be a way for those of us who are
meat-grinder-adverse to still provide this special food for our ferrets.
You have to look under "raw feeders" on the second page to find the
ground chicken.

They also sell rabbit ears and feet (partially dehydrated, to dry the
flesh but not the bone) as well as skins, and an assortment of dried
meats, including goats, chicken, and rabbit.  In addition, there are all
kinds of whole and ground rabbit available (with and without skin) and
various bones -- for dogs, I would think.

All the animals are fed the best available diets (mostly organic, or from
the non-pesticide farm next door), are mostly free-range, are treated
affectionately, and are dispatched in a humane manner, according to the
site.

Anyway, I just thought I would share the site.  I will order some dried
meats and some ears as well as a couple of pounds of ground chicken.  I
am not really looking forward to seeing them run around with bunny ears,
but it makes me feel better that the rabbits are well-treated and have a
quick death, and that nothing is wasted (since all the parts are sold).
And I really think that my ferrets will like them (although one really
only likes things like that when they are safey ensconced in a plastic
baggie of some sort).

Best to all,
Melissa