From:
debi sadowski <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Dec 2010 19:19:23 -0800
Hi Laura,

I was reading your list of ingredients in the Purina kitten chow and I
noticed you have some ingredients missing as well as some of them being
in the wrong order.

You post the ingredients as:

Poultry by-product meal, rice flour, corn gluten meal, wheat flour,
beef tallow preserved with mixed-tocopherols (source of vitamin E),
soybean meal, ground yellow corn, fish meal, brewers dried yeast,
animal digest, calcium carbonate, dicalcium phosphate, phosphoric acid,
salt, choline chloride, taurine, zinc oxide, ferrous sulfate, vitamin
supplements (E, A, B-12, D-3), riboflavin supplement, niacin, calcium
pantothenate, manganese sulfate, biotin, thiamine mononitrate, folic
acid, pyridoxine hydrochloride, citric acid, menadione sodium bisulfite
complex (source of vitamin K activity), calcium iodate

Here is the correct list in proper order as I feed this to my cat and
ferrel kittens I took in and I'm reading them off the bag I purchased
last Friday as I'm writing this.

"Chicken" by-product meal, corn gluten meal, brewers rice, soy flour,
animal fat preserved with mixed-tocopherols (form of vitamins E), wheat
flour, fish meal, animal liver flavor, dried yeast, "Turkey" by-product
meal, calcium carbonate, phosphoric acid, salt, choline chloride,
taurine, potassium chloride, zinc sulfate, ferrous sulfate, vitamin E
supplement, niacin, manganese sulfate, vitamin A supplement, calcium
pantothenate, thiamine mononitrate, added color (red 40), copper
sulfate, riboflavin supplement, vitamin B-12 supplement, pyridoxine
hydrochloride, folic acid, vitamin D-3 supplement, calcium iodate,
biotin, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of vitamin K
activity) sodium selenite.

Crude Protein (min) 40%
Crude Fat (min) 12.5%
Crude Fiber (max) 4%
Moisture (max) 12.0%
Calcium (Ca) (min) 1.2%
Phosphorus (P) (min) 1.1%
Phamine (min) 75mg/kg
Toboflavin (min) 10mg/kg
Choline (min) 2400mg/kg
Taurine (min) 0.125%
Docosahexaenoic Acid* (DHA) (min)0.02%

People have used Purina food for their animals for years and the
animals did fine on it and lived long healthy lives. Sorry, I do agree
with Sue and others that people who realy do care and love their
animals will feed the best they can afford even if it is Purina Kitten
Chow. There are worse food out on the market and just because they cost
more, it doesn't mean they are better.

And YES, I feed my ferrets Purina cat food, Purina One Healthy Weight
formula and the 1st ingredient is TURKEY.

I also have to say I disagree with your statement:

And if people can't afford quality foods when they buy a ferret well
they shouldn't get ferret.

Not all areas carry a wide variety foods for ferrets and believe it or
not, NOT everyone can afford to purchase/own a computer to purchase
your so called proper food on line. Also remember, just because the
bag of food says for "ferrets" doesn't mean it is better than what
they might be currently feeding their ferrets.

Times are hard and people purchase the best they can afford to buy for
their furkids rather than dumping them in the local shelters. If you
think someone should be feeding better and can't afford what you feel
they should be feeding, maybe instead of condeming them, maybe you
should dig deep in your pockets and help pay for the food you feel
they should be feeding.

Many pet owners take care of their pets food needs before their own.
These people should be comended not condemed.

Just my 2 cents.

Debi