From:
Jen Galas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Aug 2005 16:27:10 -0700
Debi,

I think there are a couple of reasons why some breeders choose to line
breed.

Some breeders may have previous experience with dogs or cats, and I know
from experience (my parents raised Chesapeakes for over 20 years) that
line breeding is very prevalent in most purebred dogs.  So, if a ferret
breeder was at one time a dog or cat breeder, they could have simply
transferred the line breeding belief to their ferret breeding practices.

Another possibility is that people are being taught to line breed.
For example, if you're a newer breeder, and you have a couple of
"mentors" (experienced, seasoned breeders) that you respect and trust,
you undoubtedly pattern yourself after them, right?  Well, what if those
mentors believed in line breeding for one reason or another?  They would
then tell you, as a newer breeder, that the practice was ok.  You,
yourself, would then start line breeding because you trusted their
advice.

Personally, I don't condone line breeding or inbreeding.  Nor do I
understand why some people will ignore genetic defects such as blindness
and deafness and breed the animal anyway.  And the excuses I've heard
as to why some have done it..."oh, it's ok if I breed this deaf blaze
boy to this hearing blaze girl...I just can't breed him to a deaf blaze
girl."  Gimme a break.  Deaf is deaf.  It's not a trait that should be
passed on, or even given half a chance to be passed on.  Period.

Bottom line is that we don't like it when humans inbreed, so why do we
allow our animals to?  I know there are several people who would disagree
with me, but I too have seen the consequences of such actions with many
of my shelter ferrets, as well as dogs, cats, rats, you name it.  The
only way it will change is if people become more educated on the subject.

My 2 cents.

Jen, LVT

Jen Galas, LVT
President, Legion of Superferrets Midwest
Legion of Superferrets of Iowa Ferret Shelter
Black Dragon Ferretry
Visit Our Website at http://jedi.knight-ivil.tripod.com/
Help support the homeless fuzzies in our care
by shopping with iGive: http://www.iGive.com/LOSofIA