From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 14 Jul 2001 18:27:25 -0400
Hi X,
You asked several good questions about doing surgery on an ADV positive
ferret.  The answer for the most of them is we do not for sure.  I am a
little confused by some of the responses to this question.  Did this ferret
have a prior adrenal surgery ( thus we know it is a righty) or did someone
just guess that it is a righty based on the signs?  As Danee pointed out
there are some extra risks with doing surgery on an ADV ferret because
they may have liver, kidney, and clotting problems.  In addition the stress
of the surgery may make the AD worse, and they may be more prone to post
surgery infections.  If she is 6 or 7 years old then Lupron would be my
choice for her adrenal gland treatment.

Hope that helps,
Jerry Murray, DVM

PS for more AD info, your vet can read the article in the February 2001
issue of Compendium.