From:
pat andrews <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Jan 2000 14:56:12 -0500
I received a email from friends who are shelter operators who have had a
horrible, horrible December and I find myself unable to let go of the
misery and pain I feel on their behalf.  Ferrets that seemed healthy
suddenly left for the Rainbow Bridge.  Most were very young, all were
unexpected and frightening and painful to those that love them.  I know
these friends aren't the first to suffer this horror and agony (I think
of Kevin, especially), but they are the closest I've come personally.  I
knew all these ferrets from the shelter and shows.

Stunningly attractive ferrets will never grace the winners circle again and
I'm struggling for the ability to find it true and believable.  I multiply
that ten times over to imagine my friends' grief and utter bewilderment.

This follows close on the heels of being notified by a fellow club member
and friend that the fifth of her nine ferrets has been diagnosed w/
adrenal.  She spent $1,000 in December alone on just one vet...not
mentioning the second vet she was taking the ferrets taking part in a
study.

Another friend has one ferret not responding well to treatments for adrenal
disease and another ferret whose reaction to her vaccinations put her in
cardiac arrest.  My friend waited at the vet's for awhile before leaving
the office, but not long enough.  Only administering cpr (while driving
down the road back to the vet's office) kept her ferret from leaving
us...and the poor angel still suffers serious repercussions from the
reaction.

Will I be ready when my Furry Inspirations go on to the Bridge?  I doubt
it.  These is one of those days that I wished I'd fallen in love w/ a more
long-lived species.  My dog is nine now, my foster ferrets are around six.
My threesome ranges from 1 1/2 to 2.  Even with the young ones I can't
assume a long life with...and I am very, very frightened.

Why is it that those that burn so bright burn so briefly?

A very sober Pat (and the Furry Inspirations: Shiloh, Amadeus, Ozzie,
Sonny, Sadie, and the magnificent Tess)