From:
doncliffrick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Apr 2002 11:09:31 -0600
Hi All,

Although I have NO knowledge of the actual court case against Ms.
Morrison, I'd like to offer some input that can be used by anyone
(unfortunately) dealing with a similar situation in the future.

During the past 4 yrs., I have worked as a Vet Tech, in 1 of only 3 Vet
Clinics in Eddy County, NM.  I can only give information that I have
learned from my experience at this NM clinic.

We are the only clinic here who is strictly a small animal hospital, and I
believe the only one in over 300+ miles that has an Exotic Vet on staff.
As a result, we get most all of the small animal abuse cases.  When we get
an expedited case, we take detailed notes and photos.  When testifying,
the Doctor takes all of this information and the bills to court.  From the
past 4 yrs., I hate to say that I can easily remember 7 cases; but during
that time, we have never lost a case.  I do believe it was due to the
documentation and the testimony of the Doctors.  Each case received a fine
of at least $1,000.+ and jail time.  The jail time in I think 2 cases was
deferred.

My question is - Did anyone provide photos and similar documentation in
this case?  If not, Why?  Sadly, it's now irrelevant in the outcome of
this case ruling.

What I do suggest is - those who participated in the rescue, transport,
and care of the ferrets in this case - gather photos, medical records,
vet bills, and expenses incurred, send copies to the Judge, the Newspaper,
and Reporter.  I also suggest that you request a doctor's statement on
the records, with his or her opinion of what caused these condition,
especially if it was as a direct result of ongoing neglect.

I don't believe that this will change anything in this court case.  BUT a
picture is worth a thousand words; and it may come to the Judge's mind, if
he ever has to rule in a similar case.

Someone posted on the FML how Reports do not like "hear- say information"
or to rethink their work.  With this type of documentation from
Veterinarian's and the photo's he may come closer to writing another
story more to the truth as the rescuer's saw it.

God Bless All
Eydie Fox
Ferrets First of NM