From:
SukieCrandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Jan 2002 14:29:48 -0500
>Our vet always has us with hold food and water starting at 10 p.m. for
>a morning surgery.  I strongly suggest looking into this further before
>disregarding doctor's orders.  It is my understanding that all animals
>(including humans) must fast before general anesthesia to prevent
>vomiting which could result in choking.

This is true.  However, the passage time of food in a ferret is much less
than that of many other animals, and a four hour fast is perfectly
adequate.  I usually tell people to remove the food and water when they
get up the morning of the day of surgery.

Dr. Ruth
Save lives - spay or neuter your pet.

[Sukie note: since our vets operate early -- fewer than 4 hours after we
rise -- I typically stay up late the night before and remove the food
around midnight.  Need to have at least that 4 hours!  Different
procedures may be used with those with insulinoma such as not withholding
food at home then doing a fast at the vet hospital along with an IV drip
to prevent blood sugar from dropping too low so don't be surprised if
your vet handles those differently.]