From:
Mini Tafoya <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Jul 1998 11:30:08 EDT
Hi everyone,
I would like to comment on Alicaia's comment about minimum age of a Ferret
kits being sold.

>From:    Alicia Drakiotes <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: USDA regulations
>I would like to see the eight week limitation extended to ferrets as well--
>giving them equal restrictions, or coverage with cats and dogs at least
>pertaining to age of sale.

First of all, I do know what I am talking about.  I have raised many litters
over the last 15 yrs.  If and when you have a small litter (1-5) 8 weeks for
most part will be ok to wean the kits.  However, if you have a litter of
6-11 kits, 8 weeks is not old enough, as the kits will be smaller and still
nurse very frequently, and you will have several runts in the litter.  To
take these kits away from mom would not be a good idea at all.  I strictly
go by the kits and have no minimum age that I wean.  I let each kit tell me
when they are ready to be weaned, and often will keep runts with mom for up
to 12 weeks before I will even consider separating these two.  Experience
has taught me, they will tell me when they are ready to go.  In the long run
you will have a very healthy kit, and a happy kit as well, since there is no
with drawls from being taken from mom.  Crying, and wanting to suck on your
fingers is a sign they are not ready to be weaned.

Since I breed for temperament, and not size in any way, I prefer litters to
be around the 4-6 size.  I have had as many as 14 born in one litter and 11
making it from that litter.  Also supplementing at an early age will really
help the kits get a good start in life.

Just my two cents worth  I think by setting a minimum age that it should be
more around 10 weeks rather then 8 weeks.  This would also require a second
distemper vaccination on the breeders part.

Mini
And her gang of 14 including 2 baby girls hmm mom when are u gonna name
us???  And the screaming bundle of 4 3 albinos and one sable runt kit who
already loves to give kisses:)))..we are hungry around the clock FEED
US!!!!!