From:
melissa nelson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 4 Sep 2010 23:31:57 -0400
I think the reason some of us are upset about the sale at Petco is
because there are already way to many "sale ferrets" waiting in a
shelter to be adopted.

My feelings are: if you can't afford $140 for a baby pet store ferret
then you probably can't afford a proper cage, proper nutrition, and
especially proper medical care.

Sales like these create the "impulse" buy to happen faster than if
the fuzzies are regular price.

My local Petco does their best to make sure the ferrets go home with
knowledgeable people but there is always that one sale that you know
isn't going to turn out good.

Sorta like the sale that I stopped one day as the child tried
desperately to talk her mom into. Child wanted the ferret but every
time she held it out to the mother, the mother backed away. They then
discussed it being in a cage for days on end. I pointed out that
ferrets have to get out every day. They are not "cage" animals like a
hampster. This discussion went back and forth between myself and the
mother for some fifteen minutes about ferret needs. To the chagrin of
the child and the delight to me the mom said no.

I can't save them all but I happen to know that a couple that already
had a single ferret at home purchased this other ferret and now she
has a happy healthy home.

My advice to those that are upset about the sale, stay proactive in
your local Petco. Make friends with the employees and educate them in a
nice way about ferret needs. If you have time during the sale, go hang
out at the store. Interact with the customers. Give them resources to
help them with their new baby if they do buy one.

I would rather be friendly and educate, than to be looked as negative
and hostile.

Just my opinion,
Melissa Nelson
The Full Nelson Ferretry

Tiny paw prints have touched my heart and I am now and  forever,
changed.