From:
Holly Gorrell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Dec 2001 21:55:48 -0500
I read in the local newspaper this week that a bill has been introduced
to prohibit the ownership of "exotic pets" in the state of SC.  They will
"grandfather" in exotic pets that people already have, but will require
the owner to take out an insurance policy for $100,000 per pet for
possible damages the pet may cause, as well as requiring special permits,
licenses, etc.  I was very disturbed to read about this bill.  Without
knowing the exact wording of the bill, I don't know for sure that ferrets
would be included in the "exotic pet" category, but I strongly suspect
they would.  SC was one of the last states to make ferrets legal pets,
and I would really hate to see things move in a backwards direction.

As I have never really been a political activist, I am not sure where to
start.  How do I get more information on this bill and the specific
wording so that I know if ferrets are included?  Does anyone on the FML
know anything about this yet?  If ferrets are included in the bill, what
can I do as an individual to stop this bill from being passed?  Any
information or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Holly
Tigger & Pooh