From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Jun 1998 11:19:11 -0400
If you are following information on dilative cardiomyopathy (the most
common kind of cardiomyopathy for ferrets and for people to get) go to
http://www.sciencedaily.com and then go over to the Journal of Clinical
Investigation Page to the June 1st issue.  Apparently University of Chicago
cardiologists have created the first transgenic mice to reproduce this
disorder, so expectations are that will open the way for a host of studies
which could suddenly (in research terms, so expect it to take the necessary
years) improve treatment MARKEDLY.  It is noted that because of the
inability to have a reliable way to test, even such basics as diet and
exercise are little understood for their impact as far as cardiomyopathy is
concerned.  I did NOT realize that even in humans (who are able to know they
don't feel right, get to doctor right away, and communicate the symptoms) it
is exceedingly rare to catch the disorder early.  Interesting piece --
short, clear, and incredibly well written.  I'll have to check this site
out more; it's intriguing.