Date:
Wed, 8 Apr 2009 12:04:12 -0400
I agree with the person that wrote to know the breed. My rescue began
during Hurricane Katrina.  I had been only with 2 ferrets that were
personal ferrets and the numbers grew - why - I am also with the Humane
Society of NW Louisiana, HSNWLA, When the ferrets began coming in to
our emergency shelter the rest of the HS did not know anything about
them so they asked me if I could take them and thank goodness for
everyone's help with cages, etc.

Anyway - I have a poodle, a Peke, and a shepard lab mix and she is
from Katrina. My poodle is now 16 and has never wanted to be around
the ferrets and poodles are nippy. My peke is so laid back he would
let them all run over him and the way his teeth are so misshapened
he couldn't hurt them. Believe it or not, the Shepard/Lab mix from
Hurricane Katrina is the watch dog of the crew - and when I don't shut
a cage tightly and 1 gets out and begins wanderiing the house, she is
the one to find it, and gently bring it to me or she keeps it where it
was found so it can't go anywhere. The lab in her kicks in and she is
perfect with them. She actually would love to get in the room with
them to play but her size and she can get rough so I don't let her of
course.

Check out the dog and it's temperment before you bring one home. After
doing so, see if they will let you bring one of your ferrets to check
out the dog and how they get along -- Most of your smaller terriers
are not going to be good with the ferret -- You will need one that is
really laid back to fit with your business. Just my 2cents worth here.

Hugs,
Nancy in Louisiana