From:
Richard and Katharine <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Oct 1998 18:37:51 -0400
Descenting:
I have two who are not descented.  At first (when they were kits) they
poofed several times a day (when the older ones picked on them too much).
Now that they're older (17+ months), they only poof about once every few
months.  I can't remember the last time one of them did it.  Normally it
only happens when they're around strange ferrets (friends visiting).  It's
especially bad now because yours are adjusting to each other.  It will
improve with time.  Unless there's a medical reason, there's really no
reason to have them descented (just my personal opinion).

Coughing:
Lany coughs too.  It comes in spurts.  Normally, a few days on Laxatone
takes care of the problem.  Of course, if it persists, take him to the vet.
Sometimes, they get little allergies and sometimes they may just have a
little fur in their throats.

New Ferret Bites Cat:
How about "Old Ferret Bites Squirrel"??  Champ keeps getting on top of the
hot tub where my 3 squirrel rescues are.  I don't worry too much about it
because they don't seem to mind him there and they're all just curious.
Today, all H*LL broke loose and I ran out there.  Champ had one of the
squirrel's paws in his mouth.  No harm done but I think I have now finally
moved Champ's last route to the top of the hot tub (I hope).

Kits:
Went to a local pet store today.  The manager pointed the new baby ferrets
out to me.  They were SOOOO tiny.  I asked how old they were and he said he
thought about 5 weeks!!!  They are MF.  I asked if they could eat hard food
or if he was having to wet it.  He said they were eating fine.  Of course,
I fell in love with all four.  They all had very beautiful coloring and
there was one adorable little albino girl...enough, enough.  No more
ferrets right now!!!

Adrenal:
Posted to the adrenal/insulinoma list but no responses so far.  Does anyone
know anything about Lupron?  Lily has had both adrenal glands removed (as
much as possible of the right) and her UT adrenal panel just came back
showing adrenal "activity".  They think it is either residual tissue or has
matasticized (sp?).  My vet is recommending an injection of Lupron every
2-3 months.  Can anyone tell me about side effects, quality of life,
success rates, etc?  Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Katharine
Lily, Lany, Blaze, and Champ