Date:
Thu, 7 Mar 2002 10:22:47 -0000
>...but resucue centres are not there to service your desires for a
>ferret, they are there to ensure that ferrets are re-homed to families
>where children are hopefully old enough to know that hurting animals is
>not acceptable.

This, I think, is very sensible, but responsibility towards animals is
something that all children learn at different ages.  My youngest son is
now four but at two was perfectly capable of handling his pet rat (under
supervision).  Some children I know who are nine or ten (and older) are
not to be trusted with even a fish.  An arbitrary age limit is not ideal
but a line needs to be drawn somewhere.  The ferrets welfare is of course
paramount.

The rescue I adopted my ferrets from was wary of letting me have my boys
as my son was two and a half at the time.  We visited the ferrets in the
shelter and my son, (who has always been articulate) without prompting,
told the lady at the rescue all about our other pets and how he helps to
care for them and what he is and isn't allowed to do with them.  Since
they have been able to sit up at six months of age my children have been
taught how to behave around our pets and other animals.  Consequently
our two cats in particular seek my children out when they want fuss
and attention.  I understand this is not the case for many children,
unfortunately.  I strongly believe that if we all learned respect for
animals as babies and toddlers we would all have more respect for our
human companions, and the world would be a better place for it.

Sorry I've rambled on but I strongly believe that children of *all* ages
should have (suitable) pets.  If children grow up with animals around
them they can learn the 'rules' almost naturally.

Jane