From:
Pat Martin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Jun 1995 15:38:13 -0600
I am confused regarding heartworm preventative for my ferrets.  Much of my
confusion stems from my vet telling me that even though the prevelance or
heartworm infection is relatively high in our area (ST.  Louis, MO), she
rather not give ivermectin (sp?) to ferrets because there have been no
tests regarding its safety.  However, I know that Dr.  Williams strongly
recommends heartworm preventative.  Is there another preventative?  Is
ivermectin (sp?) safe?  If so what dose?

Also, I recently spoke to a ferret breeder who raised concerns over the
green msytery virus spreading West.  She stated that there have recently
been cases in Chicago.  Does anyone know where the original outbreaks of
the greem virus were located?  How long ago?  Does the virus seem to be
spreading West?  If so, where has recent activity been reported?

Thank you,
Pat, Deb, Salome, Percephone, and Jezebel :)