From:
April Gallaty <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Sep 2002 23:35:28 -0400
Hello all...

I just thought I would put in an update on what's happened with my boy,
Orion.

About 3 months ago, he started acting weird and not playing as much.  I
took him to the vet, who ran all the basic tests and such and nothing was
wrong and all his blood work came out fine.  So, we take him home, watch
him and it gets worse.  Back to the vet he goes a few weeks after the
first trip.  Still nothing.  Then, at the end of August, he started
showing signs of something, besides us going "He just isn't acting
right."  He began to loose weight and his poops were very runny.  So, we
take him back to the vet again.  In all, I'd say he went to the vet 4
times from the first signs of 'not acting right' to the time we figured
out he was loosing weight.  Well, they did a new test on him.  Though
there wasn't any signs of a blockage that could be felt, the doctor did
a barium x-ray.  He did have a blockage in his stomach.  When he was in
surgery, it turns out that the carpet type fibers in his stomach could
have passed if it hadn't been for the fact that his adrenal glands were
blocking his stomach.  So, he had the adrenal glands removed.  He did
very well and he came home.

A month to the day, he crashed and had to have fluids, and the
Dexamethasone (sp?) shot that bring them back from their crashes.  He's
fine again and doing well.  He takes his daily florinef and seems to be
recovering again.  It turns out that he is just one of those adrenal
surgery kids that will crash from time to time.  He scared me to death.
But, as I say, he's acting like nothing's wrong now.

So, my moral to this story is, if you get that 'feeling'.  That mommy or
daddy intuition that something just isn't right, keep trying to figure it
out and have every freaking test you can afford and can think of to find
it out.  I think we almost lost him.  I think we really did go almost to
the point of no return.  It was a close call, but all is well now.

However, now I have several doctor's trips, surgery, and emergency vet
bills and I have to figure out how to pay for them.  I posted a couple of
weeks ago that I was doing Ebay and stuff to offset the cost.  Well, I am
doing it again along with a few other things.  If you have time and are
interested, check it out.

Thanks to everyone for their support and the nice cards I got last time
when I posted about Orion.  I also want to give thanks to some very
special Aunties in N.  Florida that helped take care of my baby.  If it
weren't for them, I would have had to have made several 4 hour round
trips to the vet.  Of course, thanks to my wonderful vet, Dr. K.

 ========================
If you are interested in the few Ebay items, please go to
http://members.ebay.com/aboutme/agallaty/

I also have started a shop on Cafe Press, so if you want to check those
items out, you can find them at
http://www.cafeshops.com/cp/store.aspx?s=ferretthings

If you are interested in any books that I have for sale on Amazon.com, go
to http://www.amazon.com and then do a search for the ISBN number you
want.  Click on the 'Used & New' link on the page and then scroll through
the listings.  My seller name on amazon.com is [log in to unmask]  The
books I have listed at amazon.com are as follows...

**It's a Magical World (A Calvin & Hobbes Collection) - Bill Watterson -
  ISBN 0-8362-2136-2
**Junior's, The Restaurant That Made Brooklyn Great (Cook Book w/ History) -
  Marvin & Walter Rosen - ISBN 0-688-15900-1
**The Martha Stewart Cookbook - ISBN 0-517-70335-1
**Win The Sugar War - Holly McCord, R.D. - ISBN 1-57954-530-0
**Fast Food Restaurant Nutrition Counter - Dr. Art Ulene - ISBN
  0-89529-666-7
**Legally Correct Fairy Tales - David Fisher - ISBN 0-446-52075-6
**Life Strategies - Phillip McGraw, Ph.D. - ISBN 078688459-2
**In Your Dreams (Dream Dictionary) - Gayle Delaney, Ph.D. - ISBN
  0-06-251412-1
**Barry Trotter, Unauthorized Parody - Micheal Gerber - ISBN 0-7432-4428-1
**Becoming Vegetarian - Vesanto Melina, R.D. - ISBN 1-57067-013-7
**Air Ferrets Aloft - Richard Bach - ISBN 0-7432-2753-0  <<don't get upset,
  I have two sets of the books>> :-)
**Rescue Ferrets at Sea - Richard Bach - ISBN 0-7432-2750-6
**Develop your Psychic Skills - Enid Hoffman - ISBN 0-914918-29-X
**Workouts with Weights - Stephenie Karony - ISBN 0-8069-0325-2
**Simplicity's Simply the Best Sewing Book - ISBN 0-7394-2100-X
**The Complete Idiot's Guide to Understanding Buddhism - Gary Gach - ISBN
  0-02-864170-1
**Weight Training for Life - James Hesson - ISBN 0-89582-523-6
**Fabulous Fabrics - Mary Jo Hiney - ISBN - 0-8069-1909-4
**Good Things for Organizing - Martha Stewart - ISBN 0-8487-1990-5

Thanks again and hugs to all the sick and recovering fuzzies and happy
wishes for all those needing homes and peace and love to everyone else...

April and the zoo crew...