From:
Tracy Tye Stephens <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Jan 2014 08:06:26 +0000
Hi, Andrea!

I am currently the V.P. and one of the Shelter Managers at the Greater
Chicago Ferret Association.

After suffering the devastating distemper outbreak last year at our
shelter, we got tremendously lucky to partner with Dr. Susan Brown,
one of the pioneers of companion ferret veterinary medicine, as our
Veterinary Consultant. Per her recommendation and under her direction,
we have safely vaccinated well over a hundred ferrets with Nobivac
Puppy-DPv - two injections three weeks apart for ferrets with unknown
vaccination history (which is over 99% of them) - without a single
reaction. We vaccinated elderly ferrets, ones with insulinoma, adrenal
disease...some had all three of these potential contraindications. We
continue to use the Nobivac on all incoming ferrets. As I understand,
it has been used safely in Europe for several years.

We do NOT pre-medicate with Benadryl or steroids of any kind. We
suspect that letting the vaccine warm up for about 20 minutes after
mixing it with the diluent is one possible reason that our ferrets
have not suffered any negative reactions. Of course, after being
reconstituted, the vaccine must be used within an hour, so it's
important to pay close attention to one's timing.

We are strongly considering continuing to use the Nobivac Puppy-DPv if
and when Purevax becomes available, again. I hope this information has
helped a bit.

Good luck!

Tracy Tye Stephens
Greater Chicago Ferret Association