From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Sep 2011 12:03:01 -0400
Here are some examples of useful past FHL posts. This year I stopped
being an FHL moderator after 10 years, and although Dr. Murray had
given me permission to carry his posts to the FML because of my own
change in status I think that I will just put teasers along with URLs
until I have a chance to check with him to see if I can still do that
when my schedule permits and to see if the FHL moderators would be okay
with my doing this when time allows. That's just basic consideration
toward him and toward the FHL moderators.

Notice that when Revolution is used to also prevent heartworms that a
larger size is needed than when it is used for only other applications:
http://ferrethealth.org/archive/FHL1868

Fleas, ticks, heartworms:
http://ferrethealth.org/archive/FHL353

This can help find what non-standard things might be safe enough, or
not; I don't have time to check the rest in it to see what might be
out of date but am including it for the phone numbers:
http://ferrethealth.org/archive/SG18178

On the FHL the most common reason we moderators had to send people
to the info on marrow transplants in ferrets was the use of flea
approaches that were not prescribed by a veterinarian who knows ferrets
well. Scary, huh? In too many such cases it was too late for that,
though. It's heartbreaking when you know that you are providing info
that might work but that it is likely the damage is already far enough
along that the ferret will die, anyway, and that the death could have
been prevented with a bit more caution.

My own take on such things is that I am willing to take chances with
myself when what is gained is worth it (not a surprise for those who
know that when I was studying primatology -- before I stopped due to
a serious medical problem that probably was just caught at home since
it probably was Lyme Disease -- I worked with large and dangerous wild
animals in my late 20s as well as working in the jungles of Suriname
and fossil prospecting in part of the badlands in parts of those
years). On the other hand, when I care for others I'd like to be more
careful.

Bedbugs flare in some decades and then subside for ages. No one knows
why. That is just their normal pattern.

Here is a good site and it's section on them:
http://www.medicinenet.com/bed_bugs/article.htm

A NYT article from a few days ago on relative risks and bedbugs:
<http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/23/nyregion/panic-over-bedbugs-may-be-more-dangerous-than-bites.html>

Sukie (not a vet)

Recommended ferret health links:
http://ferrethealth.org/archive/