From:
Lindi Goins <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Wed, 16 Sep 1992 21:23:27 -0400
[As you can see, this was sent quite some time ago.  Since
it wasn't sent to ferret-list, it obviously couldn't have been
sent out automatically.]

     I am hoping someone can help me. We have a female ferret (Dustball)
who is about 1 1/2. We bought her from a teenager who just "had to have
her" for his 16th birthday and then got tired of her in two months. She
was a convenience kit. We bought her when she was 8 months old and have
had her for 10 months. She has been an only pet at our house. About 7 or
8 weeks ago we bought another female ferret from a another teenager. He
had forgotten to ask his parents permission before buying her. We kept
her quarantined until we were sure the distemper danger had passed (she
hadn't had any shots). She is 11 weeks old now. We have been trying to
get Dustball to accept her for about 5 or 6 weeks. Whenever we let them
out at the same time Dustball tries to bite Twinkie & Twinkie sprays. We
have followed this pattern for awhile. They never actually hurt each
other. Dustball twitches her tail like a cat & Twinkie yips like a puppy
being hurt. About 2 weeks ago Dustball put several puncture holes in
Twinkie's shoulders. We have not been allowing them out at the same time
since then. Tonight Twinkie escaped from her cage while Dustball was out.
Dustball attacked her, although Twinkie sprayed it didn't make Dustball
back off. I had to lift up the love seat to get them separated. If I
hadn't pulled Dustball off she would have killed Twinkie. She had her by
the neck & was shaking her head very hard. Twinkie has about 6-8 puncture
marks on her shoulders and back. It was pretty frightening.
     Are there instances where two ferrets never get along? We love Dusty
very much, but giving up Twinkie would be very difficult also. She is
cuddly, and friendly & loves to play with everyone. I am already very
attached to her & my youngest son is incredibly attached. He has a mild
learning disability & she really helps him calm down & work out his
feelings. Dustball was left alone in her cage alot by her previous owner,
so she has never adapted to being a cuddly ferret no matter how much time
we spend with her. We had planned on being a multi-ferret family.
Dustball seems very lonely sometimes & I was sure she would love to have
another ferret to play with.
     I would appreciate any suggestions as soon as possible. It is really
becoming difficult to make one ferret stay in it's cage whenever the other
one is out. Twinkie escaped tonight because she was working so hard at the
cage door to get out. I couldn't stand it if she was killed by her over
enthusiam. I know it's not Dusty's fault, but I would like to know if
there is any hope for the two of them. We have tried several suggestions
by cat owners - such as getting our hands wet & rubbing the scent from one
animal on to the other, we have put them in each other's cages also.
Dustball just does jealous things when she is in Twinkie's cage, like
pooping in her food bowl. Twinkie curls up in Dusty's cage & is very
happy.