From:
Bob Church <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 19 Apr 1997 17:58:24 -0500
Q: (E-mail) I saw the bike post and wondered about the pet carrier you use
   to transport your ferrets.

A: I prefer to use my shorts to transport ferrets, typically because
   thats were the dang things crawl anyway.

Ok, listen carefully.  Buy a large handbar bike bag; the type that has a
single open compartment.  Cut windows in the front and back, and sew a high
quality netting over the holes.  Throw in a hand towel, a couple of ferts,
attach it to the bike, get on and pedal off to the sunset.

I don't worry about food or water; I carry them with me and stop about
every hour and let them drink or eat. I also keep them in a harness the
entire time they are on the road. The bag I bought had pockets on the
front and sides; I lost the front pockets for the window, but the side
pockets hold the leashes, a small water bowl, and some food in a ziplock.
I carry two water bottles on the bike, and two more in a bag attached to
my rear rack; they drink what I drink, and love watered down Gatoraid.

Make sure the bag is light colored rather than dark colored (if you can).
MIne is black, but I sewed a cover out of a space blanket to keep the bag
cool on warm days.  Also, pick zippers over velcro; my first bag was closed
with velcro and I was surprised on a long downhill run when a fuzzy head
popped out of the bag.  I quickly stopped, but had the hebe gebees for a
week thinking of what might have happened had Moose fallen into my crank
assembly, or down into the spokes.  Having a tight top is very good, and
there is plenty of air flow through the windows, which keeps the ferts much
cooler than you, but I avoid taking them out on hot or really muggy days.
If they start to pant, I spray them with water from a small spray bottle,
and they cool down rather fast from the air flow through the bag.  I've
NEVER had a problem, and I've been taking them out spring and fall for
years.  Oh yeah, ALWAYS inspect the netting before you put the ferts in.
Mine claw at it from time to time, especially in the beginning when they
were not so used to the carrier.  Replace it should ANY hole become evident;
remember the spokes and crank?

One of my friends made a similar bag to fit on the rear rack, but I
personally don't like it because I can't see the little devils, and an
unseen fert is a dangerous thing.  Besides, I like talking to them while on
the road.  It keeps them calm to hear my voice, and it gives me a great
excuse for talking to myself should someone catch me at it.

One last thing.  Only take one or two ferts out at a time.  They stay cooler
in the bag, and are much easier to control out of the bag.  Some ferrets get
really excited when out biking, others are frightened, and others are
unimpressed.  I leave the frightened ones at home, never take more than one
excitable ferret at a time, and prefer the laid-back ferts on bike trips.
There have been times I've "popped the top" and had two ferts jump out like
Jacks-in-the-box and war dance all over the place.  Be prepared.

Ok, one other last thing.  I've only road-biked with ferrets; I've never
mountain-biked with them because of the dangers of crashing and hurting the
little guys.  Also, there is a lot of continuous jarring and bumping over
the front tire, and unless you have one of those fancy $1000+ front forks,
that jarring and bumping goes right through the ferrets.  Try not to give
them brain damage, ok?  I stay on good roads, go slow on bad ones, and give
them breaks when the going gets rough.  However, to non-bikers, the guys are
tough.  I once was forced eight miles down a gravel road and the bike shook
like a clothes washer on steriods (stiff Cannondale frame, 27x1 inch tires
pumped to 120 lbs).  I stopped to check on the kids, and both were asleep.
Moose opened sleepy eyes and looked at me like I was nuts for bothering them.

Bob C and the 17 Mo' Bikers.