From:
Michelle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 31 Jul 1997 22:49:33 -0400
Hi.  I have a problem and I was wondering if anyone out there has any
advice.

I own 2 ferrets.  a 1 1/2 yr.  old female and a 4 yr.  old male.  Both
Sables.  I adopted the male, and when I introduced him to my first ferret
they got along fine.  Well I've been struck with ferret math, about 2 weeks
ago a went out and bought an adorable 6 wk old female silver.  At the time I
thought, " She's so cute!!!  I can't wait to introduce her to my other two.
They'll be great pals."

So I brought her home, and everything was fine at first.  My female sable
thought she was a great little playmate.  But my male on the other hand,
didn't want anything to do with her.

He still doesn't want anything to do with her.  he bites her really hard
when ever she tries to play and stuff.  after about a week he seemed to be
loosing weight, he didn't want to cuddle, or play.  I began questioning if
it really was a good idea to get another ferret.  Plus I felt, and still
feel, incredibly guilty.  He stares at me with his little black eyes as if
asking, "I thought I was your baby.  Don't you love me?"

I've given him his own little cage.  I figured he was loosing weight because
the baby was eating it all.  He has been getting his weight back, and has
started acting like his normal old self again.  I give him special time,
with no other ferrets around, and I give him time for just him and my other
sable to be out.  I can't seem to shake that guilty feeling.

Does anyone out there know a way for my older male to get to know and like
my new little baby?  Will he just begin to like her over time?  And is his
un activeness and weight loss caused by introducing a younger ferret?

I appreciate any advice or input.

thank you one and all,

                happy ferreting

           Sable- get that little rat away from me
           Honey- oh goody!! a new friend
      The un-named baby- if I hide in this box no one will find me
                       &
                a guilty mommy

   PS---  Anyone know of any good names for an adorable silver ferret?