From:
Samuel Abbe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 May 1997 22:36:30 -0400
We just adopted Xena, an 8 wk old kitten, hopefully as a companion for Baby,
our 4 month old ferret.

They're about the same size for now but Baby has been beating up Xena
everytime Xena attacks him.  I'm very pleased with Baby, he'll only fight as
long as Xena is, but Xena just doesn't give up.  She's screamed a few times;
I usually end up separating them but Xena immediately goes right back after
Baby.  Does this mean she really isn't being hurt that badly, she's just
very vocal?

Is Xena smart enough to quit when she's really getting hurt?

Baby seems to hold his own for now; but Xena's going to get bigger and
stronger.  He's rarely vocal but he's completely silent during these fights
and seems very serious.  Will Baby know enough to retreat when he's being
beat?  He's the most persistant pet I've ever had.

I was hoping to do two good deeds at once, give Baby a companion and take in
an unwanted kitten but if Xena may seriously hurt Baby then she has to go.

Am I just an a worried dad?
--
Sam Abbe                                       http://www.red.org/sam/
mailto:[log in to unmask] (home), mailto:[log in to unmask] (work)