From:
Cassie Perusse <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 May 1997 09:08:01 -0300
I would like to relay the disturbing events of Tuesday, May 6, 1997 to you.
It began from a wish to get a friend for our ferret.  We live in Nova
Scotia, Canada.  There are ferrets here but the pet stores only get them in
a couple times a year and we know of no reputable breeders.  So, what to do.
Well, why not buy one from a breeder in the States.  Import rules have been
relaxed, right?  WRONG!!!

The day of arrival came and I was very excited.  His plane was expected at
12:15, we arrived at the airport to be told the flight was delayed and would
be arriving at 1 p.m.  instead.  We were to come back to cargo area between
1:30 and 1:45.  Fine.

We came back on time and were given our papers for Customs to see.  There
the woman behind the counter informed me that I would have to speak to the
Agriculture Canada representative.  He came out, looked over my
documentation (including an International Health Certificate) and declared
that the ferret would have to be inspected.  I asked him why the dog that
the lady in front of me had imported from the States did not need to be
inspected but my ferret did.  He replied that ferrets had a higher risk of
disease.  I am ashamed to say that I did not question him further about
this.  All I wanted was my ferret and I didn't want trouble from this guy.
He told us to come back in two hours.  Not so fine.

I went back to Customs.  The time now was 4 p.m.  The AG man came out again
and told me that there may be a problem concerning rabies.  The health
certificate indicated that he had not been vaccinated.  I explained to him
that I was aware of the Health of Animals Regulations.  Ferrets had been
separated from 'wildlife'.  Yes, section 25(1) stated that animals were not
permitted to enter Canada unless they had a valid rabies vaccination, but
section 25(2) stated that this did not apply to animals under three months
of age.  The ferret in question was 7 weeks old.  He nodded his head while
he told me no, he would have to wait to hear back from a veterinarian.  He
did say that it would have been easier if the ferret were owned by me
already and was just re-entering the country.  He had still not even
inspected the little guy.  He told me to come back in an hour.  I told him
I was going to the cargo area to wait for him.  Very bad.

I managed to get into the car and proceeded to burst into tears.  The man at
the cargo area took pity on me and let my husband and I go into the back to
see the ferret.  There he was in a small box with little air holes lying on
a large cart off to the side.  The warehouse doors were open and it was cold
in there.  I wasn't allowed to open the box and people were watching me so
that I couldn't run off with him.  I peered through an air hole and saw him
breathing and sleeping.  Another gentleman from the cargo area came over to
talk to me.  It seems he had had ferrets years ago in Ontario.  He spoke of
his ferrets fondly.  Only ferret people can understand.  The AG man came to
inspect him a half hour later.  It took him 5 minutes to look at the ferret.
This guy was not a vet, did not have any equipment with him, nor did he take
any blood.  Unless the ferret had weeping sores, just what did he expect to
find?

Another half hour at the Customs, paying $40 for this inspection and $32 for
duty, we were able to collect the ferret from cargo area after paying a $16
warehousing fee.  The time now was 5 p.m.  We transported him to our pet
carrier.  He was so tiny and sweet.

It took 4 hours from his time of arrival to the time we had everything
cleared.  I had contacted Agriculture Canada about bringing him into the
country before this.  I was told that I would need a health certificate but
not a permit.  I was not told about any inspection.  This individual did
tell me about the regulations, but not that their representatives needed to
question them.

The ignorance of people and the government amaze me.