From:
Dayna Frazier <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 11 May 1996 04:33:28 EDT
OK Gagd...there's the Good News and the not so good news...

I'll start off with the good news: Except for the non\intrusive dissolution
of one stubborn blood clot that gave us an uneasy moment, the skin folds and
wraps on each leg are sealing and clean of any tissue degeneration or
infection... Whew...we had to work so fast we hardly dared to hope we
wouldn't have at least some correction, and possible resection and
reclosure, to do - but everything looks very neat and tight.

He has stopped losing and has gained 1/2 half ounce over post surgical wt.
Now taking into account he was emaciated, dehydrated, and very stunted to
begin with and considering tissue and bone loss - I still thought he looked
awful llttle - but he has begun to gain and I am hoping he will still grow
some more with proper food and care.  However even with the slight gain over
post surg. wt he still is just shy of one pound.  and this is a male Mitts
8-10 months old.

His color is good and gums are pinking up nicely.  He is drinking and today
crunched up a little ferret diet and devoured two yogurt treats and 2 yogurt
covered raisins...the yogurt is helping the tummy side effects of the
antibiotic part of the meds.  Elimination is nearly normal now that all the
grass and weeds are finally flushed thru his digestive tract.  And the oil
gavage has passed the parasites thru as well so as soon as he is strong
enough he will get a worm med to be sure nothing remains resident.

Ear parasites are eradicated.  The two fox tails have been removed and the
infections are cured (both were located 'under' the left front 'arm').

He is in no undue pain and his strenth is rapidly returning to what could be
considered normal for a ferret in his starved sand rundown condition... Eyes
are bright and alert and awake time is increasing rapidly to longer and
longer periods.  He has started to take an interest in his surroundings and
the activities of various other critters with whom he shares living
quarters...

And there in lies the crunch - Not so good news...

I will relate this in another post... after I get my act together... sorry
it's been a difficult few hours...

 dayna
 dayna frazier   102046,3162
 "Worry is the interest we pay on the trouble we borrow!"