From:
Margaret Merchant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Nov 1997 14:08:11 -0600
Hi Ya'll,

I have received a number of wonderful letters from folks, THANK YOU!!
{{{{{{HUG}}}}}}}

Some of you expressed concern that I am taking on too much with a
newsletter.  Let me try to explain.

For over a decade I was very involved with volunteer work, in many fields,
but mainly with animals.  In Houston, I started a ferret club and did the
newsletter there.  From the start we had 3 vets and 3 shelters involved with
the club, due to my efforts.  This is pride, but it is also the truth.  The
club still goes on, run very well by Noni Clark.  It has grown and will stay
around.  And this is a town that had 3 clubs die out before this one.

I also have a background in journalism and in advertising photography.  Yep,
even got paid some for it.  In other words, I honestly do understand the
enormous task I have set myself.  But I have lots of folks already begging
to help and I have a great talent for doing this.

I deal with 2 types of depression.  One is a depression caused by a chemical
imbalance in the brain and the production of serotonin.  The meds help with
that, although lately it is getting a little tricky due to changing blood
chemistry from menopause.

The other depression I have been dealing with is situational.  This is what
happens to everyone when they hit a rough spot in their lives, such as death
of a loved one or divorce.  What helps this is therapy, talking about it and
doing something for yourself.

For personal reasons, I have, for several months, not done a lot of things I
wanted to do in the ferret world.  I believed that the avoidance of conflict
my inaction created would make me feel better.  But, what I found out is
that I basically removed much of the meaning from my life, for outside
reasons.  This was very self-destructive.  It is a coping mechanism I
learned from childhood abuse.  I try to do what others want of me, rather
than what I want.

I have to take care of Margaret myself.  I cannot count on anyone else in
this world to do that.  That may sound cynical, but honestly, it really all
boils down to that for all.  And starting this newsletter is doing something
for me.  It gives me meaning and purpose, it allows me to help with
something I feel terribly strong about.

I don't have to work, I have plenty of income.  I have no kids and no
family, outside of the fuzz butts.  They do keep me busy but they can help
with the newsletter too.  ;-)

I am extremely open about my thoughts.  What most folks keep in their head,
I say.  I truly wear my heart on my sleeve.  A friend of mine has actually
noticed that all of the women of Celtic descent she knows are like this.  I
have always believed it is in the genes, or at least in the culture.  And
the South is a culture built on those Celts.

So please, I ask once again, don't try to read stuff into what I say.  I say
what I think.  If I am po'd, you will know it.  I don't try to make private
jabs to piss off anyone.  I do employ rather pointed humor and get a lot of
fallout from that.  But it isn't maliscious.  I make fun of myself in the
very same manor.  I have no control on what others think, all I ask is that
you judge me for myself, only on what I say or do, not what anyone else says
about me.

So, if you have any ideas for columns, stories or anything else for the
Mustelid Monthly (tm) let me know.  I will be happy to discuss all.  Or if
you know of someone you think could write a wonderful article, useful, funny
or other, please let me know.  I want this to be for and about the ferret
community as a whole.  Let me know about show dates, fundraisers, etc.  I
want this to be a forum to get out info about the ferret community and give
vets and others a place to go to.

Maggie Mae
http://www.missouri.edu/~c705570