From:
"Mark D. Chavez" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Fri, 29 Oct 1993 18:52:04 -0400
In doing my usual research, I came across the following article
which may be of some interest to the group.

Reading, R.P., and Kellert, S.R. "Attitudes Towards a Proposed
Reintroduction of Black-Footed Ferrets (Mustela-Nigripes)",
Conservation Biology  Sept. 1993, 7(3), p. 569-580.

Abstract:

      Sociological considerations are crucial to recovery efforts
such as the proposed reintroduction of endangered black-footed
ferrets (Mustela nigripes) into Phillips County, Montana.  Many past
reintroduction attempts have failed or been less successful because
they neglected these concerns.  This study examined knowledge,
attitudes, and opinions of ranchers toward black-footed ferrets,
prairie dogs (Cynomys spp.), and the proposed ferret reintroduction
using informal, unstructured interviews and a mail sample survey.

      Ranchers within the proposed reintroduction site were
antagonistic toward the program, the ferret, and especially the
prairie dogs upon which black-footed ferrets depend for survival.
Of six sample groups, local ranchers scored highest on negativistic,
libertarian/dominionistic, and utilitarian attitude scales and
lowest on moralistic, humanistic, and naturalistic/ecologistic
attitude scales.  Their attitudes were most similar to those of
ranchers statewide, followed by residents of Phillips County,
Montana Billings, Montana, residents, and members of the Montana
Wildlife Federation; they were least similar to attitudes of members
of conservation organizations other than the Montana Wildlife
Federation.  Local ranchers perceived themselves as having little
knowledge of black-footed ferrets, even though they received
significantly higher scores on the black-footed ferret knowledge
scales than did most other groups, and they perceived themselves as
having great knowledge of prairie dogs, even though their scores on
the prairie dog knowledge scales were no better than any other
group.

      These results are useful for ranking the suitability of
reintroduction sites, for formulating policies, and for developing
more effective public relations campaigns.  The results highlight the
need for education and public relations programs that do more than
simply provide facts and information.  Well-conceived public
relations programs should use pressure, purchase, and persuasion to
try to change or neutralize opposition and to develop, conserve, and
strengthen support.  Endangered species reintroduction and recovery
programs will rarely succeed if they do not actively consider and
incorporate the values, attitudes, behaviors, and desires of the
local public.

Also, two recent references for those interested:

Stewart, J.D., and Rozengurt, N. "Aleutian Disease in the Ferret",
Veterinary Record, Aug. 14 1993, 133(7), p. 172.

Blankenshipparis, T.L. "Enteric Coccidiosis in a Ferret", Laboratory
Animal Science, Aug. 1993, 43(4), p. 361-363.

On the lighter side -

        Noticed that Spud is very, very near sighted.  When he
plays hide and seek (I hide), he waits on the other side of
the door until he hears me make a noise.  There have been times
where he hasn't found me and he is only two feet away.  However,
he heard my shoe squeak two rooms away and found me no problem.
By the way, he does the victory dance when he finds me and high
tails it back to the other room until I close the door and hide
again.  Strange, eh? (SO - "Yea, the ferret too!")

Mark.