From:
Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Feb 2011 13:28:05 -0500
It sounds like boarding is the best way to go. With an older ferret,
the stress of traveling on a plane can cause problems if they aren't
used to travel. I'm not saying the ferret is going to have a heart
attack, but you might get it so stressed it may develop ulcers, which
are nasty and require medical attention. It also will expose them to
flus.

As far as international travel, one airline that lets you fly
internationally with ferrets in cabin is Lufthansa. They do fly to
Finland. Next, you have to contact an American consulate in Finland
to find out about the ferrets. *IF* ferrets are allowed, you will need
contact the USDA office near you in the state you will be flying out
from, preferably, to see what paperwork needs to be done. When we
shipped ferrets to their owner in Ethiopia we had to get each ferret a
clean of bill health by a USDA endorsed veterinarian, then the papers
had to be approved by the USDA office in the state they were leaving
from (as well as papers from the Ethiopian government allowing them
to enter the country!). Here is a link to Lufthansa in Finland:
<http://www.lufthansa.com/online/portal/lh/fi/nonav/local?nodeid=2066705&l=en>

If you call the USDA they can aid you in finding out what Finland's
rules are. Here is a link to their office finder:
http://www.aphis.usda.gov/animal_health/area_offices/

Googling Finland and bringing my ferret to Finland brings up this page,
which explains that ferrets are allowed to come in, and mentions no
quarantine exactly, but a "veterinary border control". There is a phone
number to call - I would suggest calling and finding out exactly where
pet ferrets fall, and what the control means. Another link, here,
<http://www.evira.fi/portal/en/animals/import_and_export/import_from_non-eu_countries/dogs__cats_and_ferrets/non-commercial_import/>
says the same, but goes into two important requirements - microchipping
and rabies vaccines. Of course, if you're like most owners, you don't
give rabies vaccinations yearly, at least not in ones over 5 (though I
may be wrong on that). A call to the Finnish number provided in the
other link will enable you to see if ferrets really need these, since
there are often loopholes not posted on the websites and things can
change.

Since it's just one month - I would find someone ASAP that you can
bring them to, and transfer absolutely everything - the cage, all of
it, all their toys, to lessen the stress, and see how they are getting
along before you go. Most ferrets won't get too upset when moved
temporarily. If the requirements of rabies and microchipping don't
sound crazy to you, then bringing them somewhat easily is an option
since that airline does allow them in cabin. However you're looking
at significant cost - each ferret will cost an additional airfare (no
discount for using the same carrier), microchipping, USDA documents,
rabies vaccines....