From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Sep 2005 17:44:00 -0400
Lisa, I hope that you don't mind but I am going to erase your note and
answer you with something I'll send out publicly, too.  That way I can
do two things at once.  Right now I kind of need that.

Since "exotics" are not an official specialty here the ASPCA and other
major rescue groups had no way to find and utilize experts.  Nor could
dog-cat vets who needed to call folks for answers.  Nor could evacuees.
This information has already saved lives after Katrina.

We are now not under tight time pressure anymore unless another bad
hurricane hits because the more critical states right now have been
done or soon will be, but what we are doing is a group of us are going
through all of the reasonably up to date internet vet lists for each
state, and we are putting all of the info into this format:

zip code
name of vet(s)
name of practice
street address
city and state
phone number
fax if available
URL of website of hospital itself if working
email if available

Then the lists come to me, and I get to add some more by hand thanks to
the extreme kindness of Mary Lou Zarbock and Fancy Publications (Ferrets
Magazine, Critters Magazine, etc.) who provided info that really can't be
gotten any other way.  (If people are not already buying those magazines
for their great articles they should just to say thank you for such kind
hearted actions.)

Some of the vet lists out there are out of date, so what would be great
thing for any FML members to do would be to update the info in the
EXISTING internet lists, Then we will find your updates as the states are
done.  If you find that your info got in too late then later on we will
be able to give a contact for updating the primary data base.  Pam
Sessoms (who is treasure in the ferret world) is going to make that
available so that vets can be found state by state or by using your
choice of a given radius around a particular zip code.  We are in the
very beginning stages of providing these lists on a website.  Warning to
FML members: NOT send me a listing here or a listing there; there is
simply too much going on to even keep track of those.  Instead help the
existing vet lists by sending in your updates.  You can find the list of
such sites by going to the critical references in
http://www.ferretcongress.org or by using
http://fhl.sonic-weasel.org/browse.php?msg=SG14637 IMPORTANT ADDITION:
use the AUTOMATED lists when you update the existing vet lists.  Those
who are working by hand have more than enough to do already!

It is always good to have more volunteers who want to do such lists for
their own states or neighboring states.  I will warn you that it is NOT a
piece of cake to work with all of the resources I pass along to use, nor
to try to find more in some cases.  They all use a range of different
formats and some don't even include zip codes so a zipcode book and the
USPS site are essential helpers.

Already existing lists (some of which will be modified over time but
right now that is not the more important chore) can be found in

http://fhl.sonic-weasel.org/browse.php?msg=SG15285

http://fhl.sonic-weasel.org/browse.php?msg=SG15290

http://fhl.sonic-weasel.org/browse.php?msg=SG15302

http://www.smartgroups.com/message/readmessage.cfm?
gid=1423922&messageid=15353&startid=15357
(Special thanks to Jackie Hawley!)

http://www.smartgroups.com/message/readmessage.cfm?
gid=1423922&messageid=15354&startid=15357
(Special thanks to Karen Douglas!)

There are people working on yet more states as i write this: VA, AR, NJ,
MA, WI, CA, NH.  Apologies if my memory is not all here right now, which
I am sure it is not.  When people volunteer I send out their inquiry to
all so that they can get an idea of what needs to be done.

Sukie, who is astounded and totally impressed by the huge amount of work
being done right now to help those who have suffered enough from Katrina,
from helping find transportation, to helping find shelter, to helping
shelters themselves, to finding vet care, to... Hats off to the IFC,
to the volunteers, to the shelters, to the members of FAA, to those
who signed on as ASPCA volunteers, or UAN EARS volunteers, or HSUS
volunteers, and to more.  Thank you so very much for all that you do and
for being part of the solution instead of contributing to the problem.
I could never do what any of you have achieved.  I admire you!