From:
Millie Sanders <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Feb 2013 14:54:11 -0600
I think what you are doing is great devotion and a lot of thought. I
just wanted to throw out my thoughts on this. There are some really
nice articles here for auction so people would be getting their value
as well as contributing to a cause.

I don't want to sound like a drag either, but constantly there are
ferret rescues needing help. Some struggle and get by because of good
planning and a fortunate situation, while others have a particular case
they just can't do on their own. It would seem to me a better situation
than raising money for Christmas gifts for those who didn't get any
and/or picking any shelter out there to give them a gift, the money
would be better spent to hold until a shelter applies and explains a
particular situation they cannot raise the funds for - like SOS is
there for those who apply. I personally give to them monthly because I
know they will spend the money on the most needy. I realize the auction
is earning money by selling items that were contributed to be sold so
its not asking for a handout, its a fund raising auction. Yet so many
of the shelters themselves run their own auctions when they are badly
needing money for either a special case or because they were hit heavy
with a larger than norm number of sick ferrets coming in.

I would rather contribute towards a shelter needing it for that than
just a shelter of the month situation.

I don't think I am making myself clear as I sound like a stick in the
mud. Example maybe. We here would LOVE to get an extra surprise of a
donation like that but we operate in the black all the time with vet
bills normally running $1400 to $2,000 every month (its cutting back as
I cannot care for the #'s of ferrets I did in the past but still its
close) and, although it would be nice cushion to have for something
unusual coming up, it would do better in the hands of a shelter which
just took in 8 old adrenal ferrets needing a round of Lupron shots -
they need it more. There will be a time we get in a terrifically bad
case and that is when we take action to dig up extra funds. IF, and it
has happened once when we were hit with distemper and shut down for a
month - lost only 3 because we do vaccinate immediately those as they
arrive but it takes time for it to get into their system we had to be
sure before we could start adopting again - we had to ask for help.
Believe you me, we were so thankful we could turn to SOS to get us
over that hump.

I think I am trying to get the point across, it is hard times right
now for most people and to just spend money for the sake of giving
a gift isn't as appealing as hearing of a hardship case and leaping
out to help that group.

Not everyone may feel this way. I maybe out here in the cow pasture
alone, but my feelings still stays it would go to better use for a
shelter in need. And this is MY feelings, I am not speaking for our
shelter at this time.

Millie Sanders, Director for the
Texas Ferret Lovers Rescue
with connected hospice and sanctuaries