From:
Charleen Schuster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 May 2000 08:47:04 -0700
Hi Everyone,

Just wanted to add my two cents to the comments about Ferret Shelters.
Here in Washington, The Washington Ferret Shelter/Rescue has found homes
for over 175 ferrets since September in the beginning we didn't charge the
new adoptees for their ferrets, but around January we decided we had no
other choice if were going to continue getting as many ferrets into the
shelter we would have to start charging an adoption fee.  Afterall, the
shelter ferrets do need food, cages, clean bedding and our vet does expect
to be paid at the time of the ferrets visit.  Well, we constantly get
comments from people that we should have lots of money since we now charge
from $35.00 to $75.00/per ferret we adopt out.  What people don't seem to
realize that it is very expensive to take care of these ferrets and give
them the best we can offer them until they find a home.  When we pick up a
ferret we never know what shape that ferret is going to be in.  One time we
picked up a ferret that had to be rushed to the vet, because it had an eye
knocked out by a cat fight.  The owners had not taken care of this ferret
and the eye was as big as a ping pong ball, with green infection in it.
The cost of this was over $400.00.  which took every cent of our shelter
funds.  We have ferrets in the shelter that will never be adopted because
of illness.  Some people feel the best way to get rid of a sick ferret is
turn it over to a shelter, after all shelters get vets to lower their
prices for them.  This is not always true.  Here in Seattle, Wa.  the vets
seem to charge more then any other state I have heard of.  Then I have
heard well you guys get a better price on Food from the Ferret Store then
we do, well that may be true, but we also have to pay the shipping, which
in our case has been over $45.00 to ship from Pa.  to Wa.  Also just to do
the washing if we don't do it at the shelter, cost us $40.00 just for one
month of ferret laundry.  Also the shelter has to pay extra to have the
litter taken to the garbage dump.  So please people before you post about
how much shelters get when they finally find a home for a ferret, think
about how much it cost to take care of these ferrets.  Even if the ferret
is in good health and does not stay at the shelter to long, it still cost
to get every shelter ferret ready for a new home!  If the shelter operator
got paid for all the work she did can you imagine how much that would cost.
I know here in Washington very few people come to the shelters and help
clean once a month.  The people that do volunteer are usually the same
people every month!  Also the members that do donate money, food, litter
are the same few people every month.  But we sure do have lots of people
finding fault with what we are trying to do here in Washington.

On the topic of ferrets, we do have ferrets waiting for new homes here
in Washington, some really beautiful ferrets, so please contact us if you
are interested in adopting a ferret.  If you need to find a home for your
ferrets of course we will always take them, but please bring food when you
turn your ferret over to our shelter or any other shelter.  I doubt any
shelter has more ferret food than what they need.

Also if you need ferret cages, check with the shelters, they often have
more cages then they need and will be happy to sell you one at a lower
price then you can get at a store.

As for Ferret addiction, Ok I guess its time to come out and admit I have
an addiction and its called Ferret Addiction.  I have 27 ferrets of my own
and do often foster ferrets from the shelter if they need to be hand fed.
I keep saying this is the last one I am going to take in but you know how
they can melt your heart and you just say "just this one" and then I will
stop!LOL But I can quarantee that all 27 have the best of care here in Wa
and if they could talk I am sure they would agree that I am the best of
ferret moms, after all I give 100% of myself to them, what more can they
ask for!

Well better get back to cleaning litter boxes,

Charleen
and the 27 tails!